SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-01-10, 07:00 PM   #1
rpwoodman

Default Architects costs

Does anyone know how much (a ballpark figure) an architect would charge to design a house, creating plans that a builder could use?
I'm assuming the materials used in said house would have no impact on the cost for the house design, assuming it was a fairly straight forward house?

thanks
Old 25-01-10, 07:09 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Architects costs

Im a civil engineer mate, architects are ******s. Wht is it your wanting?
The architects are consultants and so if you go with an idea and then accept what ever they do for you it'll cost a lot less than if you go and ask them to amend what ever crap it is they end up drawing the first few times.

If it helps if you describe what it is your after I can knock up a couple of AutoCAD layouts no worries that will at least save you an initial back and forth expense ranging into the high hundreds. THen all you'll need it an architect to come and detail the materials for you.
Old 25-01-10, 07:21 PM   #3
rpwoodman

Wow - thanks very much for such an offer.
TBH, we're looking to move house and can't really find what we're looking for, and my wife suggested that I look into the possibility of buying some land and building something to our spec on it (I think the difficult part is actually finding some decent land that we'd be allowed to build on). We had absolutely no idea of cost for this sort of thing, or indeed, how things work.
If we decide to go further with the idea, I may well ask for your advice. Really appreciate the offer.
Old 25-01-10, 07:23 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Ou would be suprised how cheap an architect is at the moment... There's alot about with not slot to do and a house is easy.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-10, 07:26 PM   #5
TazDaz

+1 for architects being nonces. The few I have been in contact with through work don't seem to understand the concept of money and the lack thereof, and they don't even use standard bloody scales which really annoys me!

Seems like an expensive way to go...does the .Org have an EuroMillions winner amongst us?!

http://www.architect-yourhome.com/costEstimator.asp

The above link may give you an indication, but I've honestly got no idea. I just haven't met an architect which I thought was worthwhile speaking to and in typical British fashion I've tarred them all with the same brush!!!
Old 25-01-10, 07:46 PM   #6
malks

have you any real experience of building/contracts/regs etc... if you don't I would seriously consider getting a small building contractor to do the project for you. yes it may cost you a bit more but the hassle you would have to put up with (whilst I presume u hold down a full time job) would just be ridiculous. having someone else deal with this for u would be a huge plus.

the current Market in building trades tho could really work to your advantage if u were to move on this, as small contractors, builders, any construction companies are screaming out for work! so you could get really good rates. but if you buy land with no planning permission you could be waiting ages before this is passed. oh and whatever your budget make sure you have access to at least and extra 20/25% incase of problems for emergencies!

you may have guessed that I work in construction dealing with the money/measuring/contracts side of things!
Old 25-01-10, 07:49 PM   #7
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsmatt7 View Post
Im a civil engineer mate, architects are ******s. Wht is it your wanting?
The architects are consultants and so if you go with an idea and then accept what ever they do for you it'll cost a lot less than if you go and ask them to amend what ever crap it is they end up drawing the first few times.
+1

Also, if you do go the way of using an architect, make sure you check out his references coz they like to think that they can project manage; but most of 'em can't even manage a ****!
Old 25-01-10, 07:53 PM   #8
Lucas

I'm an interior architect, with most jobs in the retail sector. I'm involved in a lot of concept work, planning, detail design, working drawings, 3D visualisation and walk-through.

Concept: looking at mood boards, material finishes, design direction (or style/theme) 2D/3D sketches, ideas on planning etc.

Planning of space, layout of functions within space, circulation and flow etc

Detail design of concept, how things will look and feel at a human scale, how it will function, what material will it be, etc.

Working drawing, is design intent for construction, usually supplied to contractors for construction or architect to draw up for construction.

3D visualisation and walk-through of concept, how it will look.

If you need a hand in any of the above, let me know

p.s. I'm not a architect by law!

Last edited by Lucas; 25-01-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 25-01-10, 07:56 PM   #9
TazDaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
+1

Also, if you do go the way of using an architect, make sure you check out his references coz they like to think that they can project manage; but most of 'em can't even manage a ****!
That's what is funny. They train for I think 6 or 7 years and Project Management doesn't even get taught as a unit at most universities!

Little tip I've picked up, use payment milestones. You get X% for initial plans, then X% for the next stage etc etc so basically they only get paid if a required task has been done. If you pay up front then your money will be pi$$ed away; If you wait for a final total invoice they'll try and justify needing more money to complete the tasks.
Old 25-01-10, 08:13 PM   #10
Specialone

Remember also you can submit plans drawn up by a knowledgeable cads person, doesnt have to be an architect.
I use two different guys for my plans, one is a structual engineer who does a top job inc any calcs, but sometimes over specs things.
If its not too complicated I then use an experience draughtsman who had been doing cad plans for years and does a good job, he charges around £350 for an average extension.
I remember reading something about standard plans you can buy for self build type houses, all tried and trusted designs, might be worth researching that cos you may find a design you like already done.
Expect an average 3 bed detached to cost anywhere between £60-£80k using reasonable materials and a half decent builder.
Obviously land costs extra, that is just build costs.
PS, dont project manage yourself, its harder than it seems, getting things on site exactly when you need them is a pain, otherwise you end up with materials everywhere and getting in your way.

HTH
Phil

Last edited by Specialone; 25-01-10 at 08:15 PM.