SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Cyclists 2 abreast on busy country roads (see post)?
Absolutely fine. 14 56.00%
Inconsiderate. 11 44.00%
keth d . Everyone dies. 0 0%
Keith double D I cocked up the poll 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-20, 05:28 PM   #71
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cyclists riding 2 abreast on busy country roads

I must say Bibio has been crucial in winning over the hearts and minds of cyclists on this thread.

He's the Dominic sCummings to my BoJogogo
Old 03-06-20, 09:08 PM   #72
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I must say Bibio has been crucial in winning over the hearts and minds of cyclists on this thread.

He's the Dominic sCummings to my BoJogogo
yes i do like to play devils advocate but as many older orgers will know i love to wind people up..

BTW most hotels, B&B, garages, pubs in the north of Scotland are owned and run by English people who have moved up here wanting a better life. the only problem is that they also try to 'make things better' in their local community which completely pizzes the locals off. this was evident during the Scottish Referendum when it split Lochcarron and many many other larger towns in two, you had the locals voting yes and the 'newcomers' (a lot of them) voting no. it was like this all over the north of Scotland. some of these towns are actually populated with more English holiday homes than locals.

the NC500 was orchestrated by the English wanting more revenue via the leisure industry. the locals dont want it and are very irate about it, but that means nothing as after all they are just daft Jocks.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 09:21 PM   #73
Chris_SVS

They get revenue alright, 142p/L in Strontian ffs
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 09:28 PM   #74
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes but when its the only pump for miles you pays what you pays, it also adds to the local community with helping keep roofs on the community centres etc.etc. i dont mind one little bit. these pumps are owned and run by the locals who pay higher fuel prices to begin with. if these pumps dont stay open then the locals have to do a 50+ mile round trip just for fuel. bets the 'mainland' price was around 132p/L.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 09:35 PM   #75
Chris_SVS

The cap hissed that day
Old 04-06-20, 10:37 AM   #76
Chris_SVS

https://twitter.com/palaeobecca/stat...737998342?s=20
Old 04-06-20, 10:50 AM   #77
shiftin_gear98

20 cyclists on my way home last night - yep I counted - only two curnts - to coin Bibs. Not too bad a ratio.
They were in full spandex riding two abreast around a blind corner.
Old 04-06-20, 12:50 PM   #78
timwilky
Mega Poster

Came across a few on my Sunday first ride of the year blast.

some move over and make room for you to safely overtake them. friendly wave as I pass.

Twice on the lanes, total ignorance of the fact I am behind. two/three abreast gassing away and no intention of allowing me to make progress on their roads. If I want to overtake I have to go onto the opposite side of the road on the blind bends. No thank you. We get round the bend at about 15 MPH and they then spread out 4 abreast taking up the whole lane. Leaving me with no option but to force an overtake. slipping clutch and revving make no difference. they are on the tour de Lancashire and in their own bubble of self importance.
So much for social distancing with that lot.

Last edited by timwilky; 04-06-20 at 12:52 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 04:40 PM   #79
rowdy

I was behind a car yesterday, that was behind a Lycra clad lady bicycler. It was a narrow and windy lane, and the lady bicycler instructed the car in front to overtake. There was however an oncoming vehicle, so the motorist, presumably aware of the laws of the Highway Code, decided not to pull out and hit the oncoming motorist, and instead waited behind the Lycra clad female. There was an entrance to a recently decommissioned golf course on the left so the bicyclist pulled into the entrance, allowing the motorist in front and myself to pass in complete safety without driving into oncoming vehicles as had been instructed by the lady bicycler.
I was a little astounded to see her shaking her head at the motorist in front of me for not obeying her order to put other road users at risk of injury, presumably upset that she had to remove her foot from her peddle strap.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 09:54 PM   #80
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
I was behind a car yesterday, that was behind a Lycra clad lady bicycler. It was a narrow and windy lane, and the lady bicycler instructed the car in front to overtake. <snip>
It was a long time ago, but I'm sure when I learned to drive they told me never to rely on the advice of other road users. Always decide for yourself whether it's safe to proceed. So if the motorist decided not to overtake that's their decision.

That doesn't stop me encouraging drivers to pass me (on a bicycle) when I can see it's safe. If they don't take the opportunity I have no problem cycling along at 10mph in front of them. It's their problem not mine. Moxt bikers have no problem overtaking a cyclist, so I just let them get on with and wince if they've got a really loud pipe on a crappy 125.

Last edited by keith_d; 07-06-20 at 09:59 PM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote