what a "marker" does
There the ppl who sit there going wtf as you carry on riding straight past them
Old 30-07-10, 04:37 PM   #32
keith_d
Mega Poster

Default Re: Doing the rideout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post

While the AR is a big ride, it's traditionally been organised very well and people have had no problems getting where we're going, at a pace they're happy with*

*provided they weren't after a banzi charge carving up as many fellow riders as possible. In which case they've missed the point entirely.
Actually, if you want a banzai charge past as many riders as possible, that is an option too.

You just sit around making rude gestures at everyone who passes. Then, when you see TEC, you jump on your bike and blast past the lot of 'em, find a new place and start gesticulating all over again. It's called being a marker.

Last edited by keith_d; 30-07-10 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 07:23 AM   #33
robh539

Just seen this post, its something i have been thinging about for a few days. I am apprehensive too, not knowing the other ride. My thought was potter at the back, if i do the run. If i dont i will prob go for a run on my own. some where.

As it seem a couple of you i know and trust may be at the back, awesome.
Old 31-07-10, 12:07 PM   #34
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

+1 to everything Drew, Jambo, Bear and a few others have said. I would say that we don't want to make too much noise at the stops as the last thing we need is a telling off from the boys in blue or to draw attention to ourselves in that way, but we can still have fun.

And please, if you're going to flick someones kill switch off....make sure they are a confident and experienced rider. I've seen someone do it a rider coming to a stop and that rider ended up dropping the bike in a panic....so have fun, but be thoughtful of who you are doing it to.

I'm a new rider and I've had the same apprehensions, but to be perfectly honest, I think that if everyone rides to their own abilities, staggers, leaves a safe distance, keeps their eyes open and keeps one of those eyes in their mirrors, we should all be fine.

Ride for yourselves, have consideration for others and don't get lulled into a false sense of security following the rider in front....they make be able to take a corner much better than you.

Most of all....relax and enjoy it...it's going to be quite a spectacle!
Old 31-07-10, 12:52 PM   #35
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I must confess to sitting on the fence a bit at the moment over riding on the AR. I'm still trying to sort my life out enough to get away next weekend but things are looking good at the moment, and it would be rude to come all the way to Wales and not enjoy the roads there. I did ask a while back about how the AR is going to be organized because I've a fair bit or experience around such things and personally I won't enjoy riding in a procession.

The problem with having dedicated "markers" is that you either need enough of them to cover every junction and start with them at the front (unlikely) or they need to be able to move through the group to get back to the front in time to mark the next junction, in which case the leader needs to keep the pace down enough for this to happen....and you end up in a procession. By keeping the pace down you also tend to end up with big groups, and there have also been several valid comments about the impact that can have on other road users.

Personally I'm a big fan of the drop off system where every rider has the potential of being a marker. If you're not sure how it works it's fairly simple. There is a dedicated leader at the front, and sweeper at the back, both wearing something distinctive... When the leader reaches a junction whoever is directly behind them stops and marks the junction until the sweeper arrives, then they rejoin in front of them. The advantage is that the leader can set a reasonable pace and hopefully string the group out over several miles, which means that every rider can ride at their own pace with room around them. If you want to ride fast then you generally end up marking a lot of junctions, if you want to ride at a slower pace then you don't ever have to stop, which helps keep the ride moving.

It's not my place to be dictating how you guys are going to run this but with 150-200 potential bikers to look after you're going to have your work cut out. My suggestion for what it's worth would be to break the whole affair up into four or five groups, each with a dedicated leader and sweeper, and allocate each group a particular pace. Set the more progressive group off first, followed by successive slower one. That will allow riders to choose which group they want to be in, and should they find themselves in a group that is a bit to quick for them they can simply stop, tell their sweeper they will be joining the group behind, and wait for the slower group. Likewise if the group is to slow they can move up a group at the petrol stop. Just a suggestion.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 02:11 PM   #36
caz650s

Hi Red herring,

I know where your coming from ,

But the peeps organizing this AR know the drop off system inside out & we have been using it for years on our 'normal' rideouts all over the country.

I don't know if you have attended an AR before ... but there is no way you can start dividing riders up into seperate groups .

The system being used this year has worked perfectly over the last few AR's and there is no way it will change for this one !

If You do not like the idea of riding in a 'prossesion' with your fellow orgers .. which after all is what it is all about ... You may be better of going for a blast on your own at a pace that suits you ??

To be honest suggesting changing a rideout that others have put hours of their time into organising is a bit thoughtless & could make some nervous riders feel even more put off going on a brilliant ride that Everyone should be able to enjoy in their own way.
Old 31-07-10, 02:20 PM   #37
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Fair point, but there have been several people, me included, asking just how it will be done and all we have received back is a "don't worry, the markers will take care of everything". I appreciate that may re-assure many but for anyone who knows anything about organizing this number of riders it just won't wash. I do understand you may have done this before, but my understanding from reading previous threads is that you hadn't had this many involved then so I was just trying to be helpful. My apologies if it wasn't welcome.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 02:40 PM   #38
caz650s

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh ... maybe an idea to put forward for next year ?

I hope You have a great AR

Caz
Old 31-07-10, 04:16 PM   #39
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
OK I know I am the voice of dissent on this. I think it a valid argument, but the AR becomes personal fiefdoms to some and everybody must conform.
Not this **** again.

Theres always one every year...

Its the Annual Rideout - if you want to go hooning/looning/being a **** then it may not be the rideout for you...

As mentioned, its a lot of people, so some restraint is probably the order of the day.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-10, 05:05 PM   #40
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Guys, Stretchie is doing the route and leading, so he will be along to comment on this soon.

What I will say is that we have been discussing this for the last 9-10 months and with all of the combined experience, the ride has been organised to ensure the safety of all involved. This is the priority and having already discussed this to exhaustion, the marker system is the only system that will ensure this level of safety.

I do appreciate any comments and suggestions, but we won't be changing the running of the rideout now. All sections will be marked safely, allowing riders to only have to concentrate on their own riding...the markers will look after everyone.

There are enough markers to mark each section without the need to have to be in a silly rush to get back to the front.

Again, safety for all is paramount here and we will be more likely to have 120-150 bikes, I'd be surprised if we had any more bikes than that. Many go twos up and many are not even bringing bikes.

Rest assured guys, we'll happily answer questions, but we do have this in hand.