SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-08-14, 08:33 PM   #1
The_Ric0

Default had enough london

It's been a while since I have posted but have just had a phone call from the wife and she has had a slow speed off, at lest she is ok.

she was pulling slowly out of a bike bay as her view was obscured by a van parked next to it only to be taken by suprise by a car coming.

you might think that this is down to poor obs but the car happened to be driving the wrong way down the one way street she was on! fistful of front brake and over she went, car sped up and buggred off.

then she struggled to pick the bike up with people casually walking/cycling/driving past ignoring her.

I have had it with living in London and am slowly loosing my faith in humanity having this year started a job working for and undergound railway in a customer facing role!

on a lighter note I have just changed the head bearings on her sv and it was really easy and has made a world of difference to the handling, at least we would be able to take advantage of that if we moved out
The_Ric0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 08:41 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: had enough london

Glad she's OK.

Admittedly London has a greater amount of most things, this also include knob drivers and people "in a rush", but having said that, there is no place else like it, I love the place, from the "vehicle option off" setting of a 4am ride through the centre of town to the manic real life video game of rush hour, survive London and you can pretty much ride anywhere with ease.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 09:00 PM   #3
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Good she's OK.
London is OK to visit, but I'm happy to be just far away to make it a occasion if we go to an event
Old 07-08-14, 09:05 PM   #4
The_Ric0

I think the problem is that for the last 3 years almost all of my riding has been in London and it gets pretty dull after a while, riding just isn't as fun as it used to be but I still prefer it to any other means of transport.

It would be nice to go home and have peace and quiet once in a while though, it doesn't help that I live next to a rather popular pub, have wandsworths main police station 2 mins up the road leading to sirens all through the night and night busses that seem to get louder and louder every night.

Maybe its time for a holiday?
The_Ric0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 09:13 PM   #5
thebug

I hear you and agree wholeheartedly. I can't wait to leave this S£&* hole. Today in one journey from North London into the City:

A cyclist with his mobile phone to his ear swerved into my path
A car tried to merge into my lane right where I was riding
A white van turned left from the right hand lane completely cutting off me and the cyclist in front of me
Several cars actively moved to close the gap so I couldn't filter through

Not to mention that everywhere you go is always rammed to the hilt. I've lived in Newcastle and Nottingham and both cities were like paradise in comparison! But, unfortunately the other half was born and raised here and has family here and a job which she can't do anywhere else so for the time being, I guess I'm staying put.
Old 07-08-14, 09:39 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i dont like big cities full stop which is rich coming from someone who grew up in the centre of Edinburgh but in my defence i lived 2mins from The Meadows and Arthurs Seat.

London.. you can keep it. i dont care how much wages i made i would not stay there and would rather shovel shizz in a farm than stay in London. i have been there a few times and each time i could not wait to get out and back home. in fact i would rather live in a cardboard box in my local park that live in any of the big cities in the south.

the influx of Southerners in Scotland is huge for the same reason as Ric0 mentions and TBH i dont blame them one bit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 10:44 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default had enough london

Don't like London? Bye.
I love it here, it's my town, if you don't then spend your time elsewhere - oh and don't be so rude either. It's not a 'bad place' it just doesn't suit you, unlucky - I wish you the best of luck elsewhere
Oh, did I mention; don't be so bloody rude?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 01:14 AM   #8
goodgumbo

Sorry to hear about your wife. Glad she is OK.

A lived in a few big cities and no matter the size of them, it is never an excuse for people to not help other people. London is really cool, but more people = more ****s.
Old 08-08-14, 05:34 AM   #9
Specialone

People in cities are generally less less helpful and can be rude, go to any major city and you'll find similar attitudes.

That said, I watched a piece on a program once and the north came out better when they tested people on the street.

I've never been to London, nearest I got was wembley on a couple of occasions, that was enough for me, just too busy, I avoid other cities too it must be said.
Old 08-08-14, 07:50 AM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I work in London and I would help someone who had dropped their bike, even though I'm only weedy. Last week I rescued a Gambian man's suitcase after he let go of it on an escalator and he was most grateful, he probably thinks Londoners are nice! I always assist ladies with heavy pushchairs on stairs while carrying my own large bag while big strong men push past us. I guess I like to think helping others is just good manners, and you reap what you sow.