SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 10-11-12, 07:37 PM   #11
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Got me a 'Blade

Lucky so n so

Now Tam, what would you be wanting for the RGV??

Oh Tam....
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...R-NXGN-3028109

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 09:15 AM   #12
Geodude
Mega Poster

Very nice Tam looks new dont worry about running out of garage space as im a nice guy i will happily help out by taking away that cafe sv free of charge

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 11:02 PM   #13
TamSV
Mega Poster

I managed to get the bike out for my first run this afternoon. Did a quick lap of my usual test track - mix of smooth A's, twisty B's and a bit of dual carriageway. First off, the steering felt really heavy and the rear was squirming a bit.

First stop was the petrol station a few miles from my house for fuel and to check the tyre pressure. I didn't know what the recommended pressures were but I guessed that 18F/20R was probably a bit out . Went for 35F/38R and things got a whole lot better.

I really like this bike. I found it a big comfy brute and having some decent wind protection was good. It's 18 years old but it feels like a much newer bike. Gear changes are slick and everything works properly. Even the switchgear feels really crisp.

I was taking it easy, getting used to the bike. All my bikes in the past have been around the 500-600cc mark so I thought a bit of adjustment might be required. So I was short shifting at not much more than half throttle through the first twisty bit. It occurred to me that all the cars were going really slow today, until I had a proper look at the speedo. Oooops. Very easy to go too quick. The way I was riding it felt like a big smooth tourer and I didn't really have a good feel for my actual speed. I'll need to keep an eye on that.

A long, empty straight presented itself and it would have been rude not to give it some. **** me it's rapid. Scary quick. But in a good way.

Handling was spot on but I wasn't pushing it. It did feel a bit heavy in slow turns round mini-roundabouts - like it wanted to fall over - but I've ridden other bikes that felt like that and you get used to it. Brakes aren't where I would like them, but good enough. A caliper strip and dumping the Bovril it's using for fluid should make a difference.

I wasn't out long. 25 years ago I saved, begged and borrowed to get the RD I was lusting after and stuck it through a hedge on the first day. Even while I was flying in mid-air I was wondering how bad the bike was going to be. I still remember looking at that bent front end with a proper tear in my eye. That feeling's never left me and, ever since, the first day on a new bike just needs to be survived. So I was only out on the Blade for an hour but I'm really impressed with it.

Fairly practical too. Reasonably comfy - I could definitely manage a decent shift on it. Big boot under the pillion seat. You can ride it like a tourer but, if you feel a bit naughty, it's got more than you'd ever want to use. I might put a top box on it.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 04:47 AM   #14
L3nny
Mega Poster

Love the older blades. They are a great sports tourer. You can even get a top box for them!

I sometimes wish I had bought another one.
Old 13-11-12, 08:53 PM   #15
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

That's tidy, well done. Is it as good under the plastics as it is above? I certainly hope so.

Deffo put it back to stock.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 10:35 PM   #16
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Is it as good under the plastics as it is above?
Pretty much . I got it's clothes off to have a proper look and there's no major problems so far.

Sadly the jealous husband with the Nitromors missed the mudguard. A few scratches but they should polish out OK.

The rear subframe is alloy so just a bit of a clean required. Some of the steel brackets need a quick spray of paint.

Scabby brakes will be pretty easily sorted.

Some rust spots on the forks, but none where it matters, and should clean up alright. The bottom yoke needs painting.

The top yoke's a bit manky and scratched. I'm not sure how I'll bring this back to its original finish. I'll maybe try and hit it with a scotchbrite pad.

The motor's in nice condition. Just needs a wash/degrease. There's a couple of rusty bolts here and there and the fairing brackets need a quick squirt of Hammerite.

The only thing I've found that's not right is this lower exhaust bracket isn't lined up. That explained the big nut & bolt I found under the pillion seat.

I'll loosen everything up and see if I can persuade it into position. The system was replaced at some point so I'm hoping it is actually for the right model and it's just not been positioned properly.

All in all though, still happy.
Old 16-11-12, 06:52 AM   #17
Specialone

Looks cracking Tam, good find
Old 28-11-12, 05:14 PM   #18
wattyfred89

lovely
wattyfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 05:56 PM   #19
TamSV
Mega Poster

I've been chipping away at this for the last few weeks - just generally tidying it up.

My plan of returning it to total stock has been thwarted unfortunately. It turns out the exhaust system is from a later bike. There were some changes to both the frame and the exhaust between models so that's why the lower exhaust bracket doesn't line up. That's no real biggie but it does mean that the stock can will no longer fit.

Finding a decent used can for the correct year is hard enough but getting a decent full exhaust system was pushing the budget higher than I wanted to go. Bit of a shame but something I could return to in future. For the time being it can keep the Yoshi.

The only other thing that I've found wrong for the year is the mudguard, which comes from a 96 model. It looks nicer IMO, and only the keenest of blade fans would notice, so it'll stay.

I've stripped it down a fair bit and it hasn't caused me any real problems - I've been quite impressed how easily it's come apart. The only sticking points were a couple of rusted screws on the airbox cover that I had to cut off (judging by the look of the air filter, it hadn't been opened in quite a while). The mudguard had been fitted using the finest Homebase BZP bolts so that took some persuasion to remove. Also one of the front brake disc bolts sheared off on removal so I had to drill that out. No drama fortunately - it took 20 minutes but 12 of those were wondering where the **** I'd put my left handed drill bits.

I've bought the right shouldered bolts from Honda for the mudguard, and replaced a seized sprocket carrier bearing but, other than that, it's just been the usual consumables/fluids.

I took the radiator off, removed some corrosion and gave it a coat of VHT paint.

Gave the motor a general clean and painted the rusty fairing brackets, it's not 100% but much better than it was.

I started the cleanup from the back and worked my way forwards.

Many years of scottoiler fling removed. I stripped everything off the rear subframe and cleaned it up too.

Various items have passed through my "paint shop"

Rear end looking a bit tidier compared to the pics in my previous post

I cleaned up the forks and changed the oil. All the adjusters were OK other than one compression adjuster which is totally stuck with the brass screw chewed to death. I'll keep an eye out for a replacement - most likely just getting a bent fork leg to harvest for spares would be my best bet. In the meantime it's set at whatever it's set at. It'll be right for now.

Checked and greased the head bearings and re-painted the bottom yoke.

Just need to get some new disc bolts and the front wheel/brakes can go back together.

Then it's just a polish of the plastics before refitting and find a home for a couple of stray bolts I seem to have left over.

Last edited by TamSV; 29-07-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 21-01-13, 07:48 PM   #20
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Looking good!
That spray booth makes my pikey one look a tad posh

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote