SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-09-13, 07:36 AM   #11
Dabteacake

Default Re: Born to Run and barefoot running

As above you change your gait so you are not using cushioning in shoe to stop joint pain. Try running barefoot on grass and I bet you will be more on your toes than your heels
Old 16-09-13, 08:00 AM   #12
ClunkintheUK

Yeah, I've made the switch, and I will always do at least some of my running in them. A couple of years ago I was starting to put quite a few miles in so decided to get a proper gait analysis and bought a pair of expensive Asics. At first they were really nice, and ran my first half in them. Then about 2 months after the half I sprained my knee really badly, I feel as a direct result of these shoes. I'd been using them for 3 months.

I had a few mates who had been told they will never run again say good things about the vibram shoes so when I was given the all clear by the physio to start building the miles again, I though i'd build them at least partially on the five-fingers and the rest I did on my fairly knackered 15 quid nikes. One of my best decisions ever.

You really have to concentrate when you start out, and start out slowly. I was running 3 four mile runs a week to start building up and at the beginning of every other run I would run a half a mile in the barefoot shoes, then swap to my nikes and do the 4 miles. After 4 barefoot runs I extended this to 2/3 of a mile in the five-fingers and keep building up. I would recommend doing some of it cross country (not medically backed up just my own experience) as I really had to concentrate on my foot fall, it seemed much more natural to take the shorter strides that you need to without cushioning and I worried about pace less. I built up to about which I quite happily did as technical training runs. I have done a couple of 10k's in them, but I fell more comfortable doing the longer miles in my old nikes and using the five fingers to help improve my technique. I hae done one run in my asics since my sprain, and found my knee was really sore afterwards. I found it really difficult to foot strike with the mid-foot which I do with the barefoots.

Also after about 6 weeks of getting back into running after my injury, which put me out for 6 weeks I did a timed 10k. This was in my battered nikes as I couldn't do the distance in the barefoot shoes. I took 2 minutes off my PB and once I'd really settled in at 6k felt as though I could run further.

I also wore my five-finger shoes for 3 weeks in Vietnam, walking pretty much all day every day, and they were very comfortable for the whole time, whereas previously on similar holidays wearing running shoes or walking boot my shins would be aching after the first day. Got stared at a lot though.

I read born to run recently as part of my reading everything I can about running. Great book. It is a bit of a manifesto but I guess that was always going to be the case.
Old 16-09-13, 08:06 AM   #13
ClunkintheUK

I agree with chris about the "Next big thing" syndrome. You con't just start running barefoot and expect everything to be fine as a lot of people seem to be doing. Take your time you will be using muscles that have not been used in years.

Also there are other barefoot style shoes other then the five finger shoes. Possibly consider some of the minimalist shoes initially. They essentially have a very small cushion in the heel but allow you to get a proper footfall with the mid/forefoot.
Old 16-09-13, 09:05 AM   #14
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStMartin View Post
TheRuffellator:

barefoot running is very good for your back, especially if you are a heel striker (landing on your heel when running) Running like that means you take your weight on a straight leg and the small of your back is the first shock absorber.

running barefoot or to an extent 'barefoot style' changes your gait to so you land on the ball of your foot with the knee bent , so the shock is dissapated by the knee and the back. not just the back.

hope that helps.
exactly!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-13, 09:15 AM   #15
EssexDave

Well I am considering a set of Vibram Five Fingers KSO and these http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/...exclusive.html

The five fingers for technique and the Vivos for more miles.

As I'm starting from scratch having been out after a 5 month injury I'm planning on building up pretty slowly to avoid any injuries.
Old 16-09-13, 09:18 AM   #16
ClunkintheUK

Those Vivo shoes look pretty cool. Have you seem them in the flesh?
Old 16-09-13, 10:41 AM   #17
EssexDave

Not yet, going one day soon to Holborn to go and try some on!
Old 16-09-13, 11:16 AM   #18
MrTom

I've been running in 5fingers for over 3 years now. They completely cured a 10 year persistent shin splint problem. At first it's tough on your feet and calves, just take it easy until they strengthen, but it's definitely a more natural way for your body to run. Just be careful in slippery mud this time of year, there's not much grip!
Old 16-09-13, 11:26 AM   #19
ClunkintheUK

I found them much better in the mud then my normal off-road shoes. I could curl my toes to grip the ground.
Old 16-09-13, 11:36 AM   #20
wattyfred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
my god he is around! where've you been pal? not seen you lurking here for ages!!

Ow yeah I'm been here mate....just a bit mute

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
wattyfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote