SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-01-14, 03:25 PM   #11
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Looking at building an extension on the side of my house . . .

I'd speak to the Local Authority Building Control Officer before speaking to a builder. The BCO has not connection to the value of the works and often will let you know where you can utilise exceptions to the Regs.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-14, 07:00 PM   #12
Specialone

Default Re: Looking at building an extension on the side of my house . . .

I've got experience with the party wall act, I've had to comply with it on a few jobs of mine.
It's a pita if the next door neighbour is retired and has nothing else to do, I have had to underpin a party wall that divided two garages between semi detached houses, had to write a method statement and have my work checked by an independent surveyor appointed by the neighbours solicitor.

Some pics off the op and I'll be able to advise, you'll only need party wall agreements if you're planning on building up to a walled border that is shared, it doesn't have to go through solicitors, there are party wall templates online that you and your neighbour can sign it.
Old 22-01-14, 08:01 PM   #13
thefallenangel

I think i will head to planning office as a point of call. I think there's a few more problems to be sorted than i originally foreseen
Old 22-01-14, 08:40 PM   #14
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinitmyway View Post
If your extension isn't going to touch the next doors house then you won't need to look at party wall act. They do make you dig some proper deep foundations for two storey extensions though so if this is close to your neighbours outside wall.....I would speak to a builder, they can advise you on this and how the new bit ties into the existing brickwork. The DPC is the least of your worries.
This is what can catch you with your pants down
"Note that the Act also covers certain excavations, which might affect a building belonging to an adjoining owner. These are:

Excavate, or excavate and construct foundations for a new building or structure, within 3m of a neighbouring owner's building or structure, where that work will go deeper than the neighbour's foundations; or

Excavate, or excavated for and construction foundations for a new building or structure, within 6m of a neighbouring owner's building or structure, where that work will cut a line downwards at 45 from the bottom of the neighbour's foundations.
And like someone said as Firms looking for work can check up online for building applications, You can end up with THEIR fee even though you didn't instruct them !!
Old 23-01-14, 01:10 PM   #15
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
This is what can catch you with your pants down
"Note that the Act also covers certain excavations, which might affect a building belonging to an adjoining owner. These are:

Excavate, or excavate and construct foundations for a new building or structure, within 3m of a neighbouring owner's building or structure, where that work will go deeper than the neighbour's foundations; or

Excavate, or excavated for and construction foundations for a new building or structure, within 6m of a neighbouring owner's building or structure, where that work will cut a line downwards at 45 from the bottom of the neighbour's foundations.
And like someone said as Firms looking for work can check up online for building applications, You can end up with THEIR fee even though you didn't instruct them !!
This is exactly the wording the Ambulance Chasers use in their scare letters!
Old 23-01-14, 01:22 PM   #16
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
This is exactly the wording the Ambulance Chasers use in their scare letters!
I know, had one handed to me
And all I want is a conservatory
As you might guess it's now bogged down and the only people who get anything out of it is the solicitors and the other partys surveyors...
Old 23-01-14, 02:02 PM   #17
Haircut

Works both ways though, we had a neighbors neighbors (you get the idea one house over) decide he was going to do a DIY conservatory.

That may have been fine in his head, and at least he was digging proper foundations but you have to account for little things like mains water pipes, and the fact that your work can cause failures in the pipe on other peoples land, which can lift up their flagstones and send a jet of water high up in to the air.

We had a shared water supply between 4 houses and lost our water supply while we waited for the water company to come out and do an emergency repair . . .

Our and his neighbor then had the hassle requesting he stop work under the party wall act, lets just say it got a bit "ugly".

And remember that the Act also covers your right to do the work once you have served notice and any details have been agreed.
Haircut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-14, 12:30 PM   #18
Tara

Hope you get a good Planning Officer some of the ones I have dealt with have been right T.....s with very little good reason.