SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-06-13, 08:47 AM   #1
ClunkintheUK

Default OMO Help me get out of london

Bit of an advice thread on two subjects, and sorry for the rambling explanation.

I've lived in London for most of my life, and I never used to get wound up by the number of people and I could get around the city pretty quickly on my bike or PT. But in the last 6 months or so its all seemed to start really grating. A big part of it might be my working in the City, where there are just too many people in too little space, and their time/phone call is always more important than everything else around them.

Also working in the City i have to deal with the over-ambitious, under-moraled and money-focused more then I would wish. I admit I first went into finance for the money, because I had no idea what I wanted to do so thought i'd at least get paid well doing something I don't want to do.

So first question, career advice. I'd like to move more to the programming side of what I do (mostly in VBA at the moment, which isn't used outside of finance) Does anyone have any advice on what I should know and do before approaching any companies, I am learning Java as well as web development, more the back end, PHP and MySQL. Does anyone know any companies who would be worth approaching or even better any jobs going? Smaller companies would also be preferable.

The other advise I am after is whereabouts in the country is good for doing this sort of thing? Like I said, I have little knowledge of working/living outside of London so I am not really sure where to look, currently looking at "South of England" but should really narrow it down a little bit.
Old 13-06-13, 09:01 AM   #2
SvNewbie

Default Re: OMO Help me get out of london

Drop me a PM Clive. I live and work in Chiswick and live in Ealing Common (just moved, but its only a 10 minute push bike ride). I'm sure you'd find London much more tolerable if you get away from having to use the tube and commuting into the city. Even if not I can definitely give you some advice on what you should know / learn as I've just started being involved in the interview process.
Old 13-06-13, 09:16 AM   #3
Fallout
Mega Poster

See the light mate! Escape to the country. There are software jobs all around the country mate, especially in the south. Many jobs, in fact, even in a recession. You'll be able to search any city or town down here and discover companies recruiting. Take your pick!

Experience will be your friend but experience in specific languages may be your Achilles heal. Larger companies may be your best bet though. They are more likely to see your ability and potential and be prepared to provide training and time. Smaller companies will want you to hit the ground running with their chosen language under your belt.

Big companies I can think of are IBM (have offices in pompy, winchester, basingstoke etc), AWE who have lots of different jobs on offer and half day fridays, EDS who have loads of big contracts and will take any old retard on in my experience.

Consider contracting for the big bucks too.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-13, 09:48 AM   #4
ClunkintheUK

Yeah, i'm a country boy at heart. Born in Guildford, lived in Churt for 8 years, wish I'd never left really.

I see your point about specific languages. I was learning Java more for the object orientated way of thinking, and true programming languages rather then scripting languages.

Will check out IBM, AWE and EDS, see what I can find.

Long term, yes I think contracting is my goal. I am like you (according to you similar thread a few months ago) I like new challenges and places, so contracting would be excellent for that, but wouldn't I really need more experience with "Programmer" in my job title?
Old 13-06-13, 09:53 AM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I live in Chelmsford. Personally I think the town centre is rubbish, chain shops rather than anything independent, and the pubs of a weekend are full of TOWIE types but I don't really go into town anyway.

On the plus side you can buy a 3 bedroom house with garage and garden for under £250k within 20 minutes walk to the station or bike it there in 5 minutes. Trains are then 30 minutes to Liverpool Street.

There are plenty of nice village on the outskirts if you really fancy getting away from the city.

And despite what people like Fallout might tell you, we have some excellent roads for riding at the weekends. Come to TOGMIE in August and find out for yourself.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 13-06-13 at 09:54 AM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-13, 11:59 AM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
...EDS who have loads of big contracts and will take any old retard on in my experience.

Good luck finding EDS these days - they were taken over by HP four years ago. And less of the retard as I had enough sense to take voluntary redundancy after 11 years when HP started getting rid of all the ex EDS people.
Old 13-06-13, 12:55 PM   #7
ClunkintheUK

OK scratch EDS. but thanks for some of the suggestions.

Not sure I could persuade my better half to go to the East of London, though the three bedroom house with garage and garden sounds really appealing right now.

Though really, to have a spare room so I can don't have to do all my computer work on a 13 inch laptop and a garage (just see how many two wheeled thing I can fit in that space), and some time to potter about in them, I would be sound as a pound.
Old 13-06-13, 01:03 PM   #8
sniff

I've worked in finance for the last 15 odd years. Can't do anything else so have to keep on doing same stuff. I'm moving in the next few months to Ramsgate, Kent (cant wait) had enough of living in London so time to get out. And I'll have to learn a new trade as doubt there is much use for me there.
sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-13, 03:51 PM   #9
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkintheUK View Post
OK scratch EDS. but thanks for some of the suggestions.

Not sure I could persuade my better half to go to the East of London, though the three bedroom house with garage and garden sounds really appealing right now.

Though really, to have a spare room so I can don't have to do all my computer work on a 13 inch laptop and a garage (just see how many two wheeled thing I can fit in that space), and some time to potter about in them, I would be sound as a pound.
Well to give you an idea, this is a house in the next road to my mum in the village I grew up in. 10 minutes ride from Chelmsford, and 5 minutes ride from the A12. You get a lot for your money, and I could even send my nephews round to clean the bike if you moved in here.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-26611812.html
Old 13-06-13, 08:24 PM   #10
Fallout
Mega Poster

That'd be about 200k in my neck of the woods.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote