SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-05, 07:34 PM   #1
blacksheep

Default MCN report

Intresting article in todays Mostly Comical News about which plod forces are going to be targeting bikers this summer.
In short most are, so watch your speed, wear a clear visor, put the baffles back in and put the proper number plate back on.

C**ts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-05, 08:37 PM   #2
Jp

What a shame, i was looking forward to some top quality biking this summer, seeing as though the restricted licence is finally off.

Ill stick to my usual excuse about the baffles though, the baffles wont go back in as one of them has split, and erm, i cant take the exhaust off cuz i rounded one of the gasket bolts
Old 12-05-05, 12:24 AM   #3
BURNER

I can understand the whole small plate thing, well sort of.

Some of the coppers in question have said that dark visors are dangerous, how so? I don't wear the flippin' thing in the dark and carry a spare clear one for when the sun goes down.

Race can they say is inconsiderate, not so, revving the nads off your bike when you have a race can is inconsiderate.

Very little will be done about actual biker safety or public awareness. Just more revenue collection by your local cunstabulary.
Old 12-05-05, 12:55 AM   #4
Couerdelion

I can just about understand the number plate thing as in it makes it hard to read and therefore if you break a serious law it makes you harder to detect.

Dark visors - as been said above, they could actually be classed as a safety device especially when riding west as the sun is setting. As long as you carry a clear as spare what's the problem?

Loud cans - Again only inconsiderate if your revving the nads of the bike and even then at least cars hear you even if they don't see you.

Here we go...

What I would much rather see the police doing is something like this...

Police accident blackspots and dangerous roads/bends. If you see a bike acting dangerously on a bad stretch of road (overtaking on a blind bend, inappropriatte speed for the conditions etc) pull the biker over. Tell then that they are being reported to xyz initiative and as long as they haven't been reported there before they won't hear nothing more about the incident. "Now drive more sensibly, off you go" Couple of days later a letter drops through the door from xyz initiative inviting the 'offender' to attend a free course. The course then teaches the rider why what they did was wrong and how they should behave on the roads.

Police also posted in 30mph zones where doing 30mph is inappropriate (though not breaking the law) and look to catch drivers exceeding 40mph.
Same again, first time offender reported.

If the person is caught a second time then it's at the discretion of the police what they do.

Why do the police (although to be fair it's probably the chief constables who decide) feel it neccessary to have campaigns aimed solely against bikers. FFS catch all bad road users and concentrate on what makes them bad. Having a small number plate/loud can/dark visor doesn't endanger anyone. Doing a u-turn without looking, wheelying past a school at 60, overtaking on a blind bend do. Concentrate on the serious stuff please!

Old 12-05-05, 12:56 AM   #5
kingnothing

you guys can't have tinted or mirrored visors?
Old 12-05-05, 12:59 AM   #6
BURNER

No, but we can have boobs and swearing on TV
Old 12-05-05, 01:02 AM   #7
Couerdelion

Basically UK law states that visor must allow at least 50% of light through.

So it makes most tinted/iridium etc visor illegal.
Old 12-05-05, 01:06 AM   #8
kingnothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner
No, but we can have boobs and swearing on TV
DAMN YOU!
Old 12-05-05, 08:17 AM   #9
Topaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couerdelion
Basically UK law states that visor must allow at least 50% of light through.
I thought it was 70% transmission, but I could be wrong.

I can't see the difference between tinted visors and tinted inserts, in terms of light transmission. The only thing is that tinted visors are not stamped as approved, because they are not tested. And they are not tested because the manufacturers won't waste time and money testing them, as they allow less than 70% light transmission and therefore would not be allowed to be stamped as approved.

It's a vicious circle.

A
Old 12-05-05, 08:27 AM   #10
Mr Toad

Is this not in breach of our human rights - I thought it was now illegal to target a section of society based on their beliefs/attitudes/culture, etc
To stand up and say "we're targeting bikers" is no longer allowed

I shall speak to my barrister friend for a legal opinion