SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-10-19, 02:11 PM   #31
Bike27

Default Re: Considering putting stock muffler back on :-s

The discussion around DRLs etc made me think of years ago venturing into my local town centre around lunchtime and after 15 minutes feeling very un-nerved as no less than 3 different car drivers had seemingly failed to notice me and started to pull out of side roads etc.

(Lime green KLR600, running a good condition stock silencer, so only the paintjob was loud).

Contrary to popular myth, that tally would more normally have seemed to be zero, in other words I was used to being under the impression that most /all other traffic was aware of my approach and giving me plenty of room - needless to say I'm not talking London traffic volumes or driving attitudes).

I then spotted my headlight switch was still in the off position !!!!! (normally always rode with it on).

So no surprise that headlights/DRLs can make a big difference but that particular experience is now from another age - circa 1989.

So way back in the days before mobile phones or car DRLs (apart from Volvos ) and when drivers were seemingly a bit more interested in driving properly

Last edited by Bike27; 20-10-19 at 02:57 PM.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-19, 04:33 PM   #32
Tommiller0211

So riding with the stock exhaust is great. I'm really not that bothered by this giant pea shooter poking out the back anymore. It still sounds great and I'm really enjoying the revvs and hearing the engine for once! Haven't noticed not being seen but now that I'm riding more I think I'm going to add my Shark reflector stickers to my helmet as it's getting darker earlier.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance from everyone posting.

Now to look for a screen worth having on my naked for touring!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Tommiller0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 08:53 AM   #33
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I used to use that weaving movement passing junctions and it was the first thing I was picked up on during IAM training. I was told not to weave too much and a simpler sideways and back once was better. Otherwise I was just setting myself up to be off balance if anything did happen. As long as you move to stand out from the background.
I just keep a nice line when approaching junctions and allow my LED headlight bulb and twin 10 watt LED spotlights to do the work. The only time I do the weaving thing in a straight line is to warm the tyres ( or more to get the blood flowing a bit and maybe warm the tyres ? )... Just look at those cyclists with the bright LED lights, you see the light way before you see the rider ---- lessons learned.

I am noticing more and more newer bikes with LED headlight and factory fitted DRL and they sure get your attention - pretty much every vehicle on the road now has DRL and motorbikes without just become less and less noticeable - if you are not lit up like an ocean liner these days you are losing the arms race..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 06:49 PM   #34
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I was followed by a Triumph Explorer rider on a journey back from Cornwall a few days ago and he had all the auxilliary lights fitted and blazing. I couldn't wait to get away from him. I was blinded every time my mirrors caught his beams coming from behind me. I couldn't see what was in front of me for a few seconds each time at all. It was like being followed by a UFO.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 07:59 PM   #35
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Bet nobody ever pulled out on him though, and cagers would easily see him in their mirrors, which is the aim of being visible all the time, not just when weaving..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 30-10-19, 11:45 PM   #36
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I agree with auxilliary lights to a point, but 1000s of lumens pointing the wrong direction can do more harm than good sometimes. I'd have preferred to have been able to see in front of me instead of having huge burnt out blotchy areas in my retinas when I was riding in traffic. Same goes for a lot of the bicycle lights I get blinded by on my commute home out of the city. People don't seem to to use them to light the road at all and have them set on full power flashing in your face. Flashing high power torches were inititally made for security services to disorientate intruders. They work well for that.

Good bright auxialliary lights dipped down a bit are great.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 08:09 AM   #37
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I agree with auxilliary lights to a point, but 1000s of lumens pointing the wrong direction can do more harm than good sometimes. I'd have preferred to have been able to see in front of me instead of having huge burnt out blotchy areas in my retinas when I was riding in traffic. Same goes for a lot of the bicycle lights I get blinded by on my commute home out of the city. People don't seem to to use them to light the road at all and have them set on full power flashing in your face. Flashing high power torches were inititally made for security services to disorientate intruders. They work well for that.

Good bright auxialliary lights dipped down a bit are great.

Agreed. There is a kind of light inflation going on which ultimately leaves everyone more at risk. Id like to see a legal cap on how bright lights can be.

As for cagers not seeing a bike with a normal headlight at night---that is because thery are either just not looking or they have defective vision, both issues for the authorities.
Old 02-11-19, 11:18 AM   #38
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
As for cagers not seeing a bike with a normal headlight at night---that is because thery are either just not looking or they have defective vision, both issues for the authorities.
The problem is not so much at night, when ineffective lights mainly affect the rider, but a normal filament bike headlight is hopeless in the daytime, the light is too yellow to show up. My spots hit the road about 20 feet in front of bike so go no further than a dipped beam, but give a broader spread ( AL7 only has a single headlight ) , but I never voluntarily ride at night anyway these days, I am strictly a fine weather daylight animal..

The light escalation started when DRL started getting fitted to all vehicles except bikes, now unless you are carrying a few lights yourself you are more vulnerable..