SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-01-12, 08:18 PM   #1
Winder

Default Anyone else just completely skint?

Basically my earnings are £43 more than my outgoings. It wasn't as bad when I was working two jobs but the bloke I laboured for has no work going and I'm just picking up bits here and there around my main job as a lot of people are.
I live a pretty basic lifestyle so not living beyond my means that way, no flash clothes or posh wine in this house.
Anyway, I've got a job and a house so I'm pretty lucky and usually don't moan about it, BUT......... Today I went to buy a new inner tube for my mountain bike and realised I couldn't afford it. A ferkin £4 inner tube!!! Overdraft limit reached, credit cards maxed.
Only 5 days till pay day though and I've got plenty of deisel in the car and food in the fridge.

Anyway, moan over. Im gonna search the house for things to put on eBay.
Old 21-01-12, 08:23 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone else just completely skint?

That's shizzle mate

I got our credit card bill today, next month is going to be tight for me too.

At least next month all the Christmas bills will have gone, but I need a new exhaust & road tax for my van.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-12, 08:35 PM   #3
tonyk
Mega Poster

Winder,
why not put up a thread of some of the work you can do...
Its not trawling for trade just you job skill.
I've been looking for some workmen, and i tell you they are VERY hard to get hold of...

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-12, 08:42 PM   #4
Specialone

Answer to your question, yes, very !!!

Luckily I've got work the next few weeks so that should help but I really need 3 months of solid work to replenish my stocks, I've got loads of weekends and trips to finance this year.

Could be worse I suppose though so I'm thankful for my current status quo.
Old 21-01-12, 08:59 PM   #5
Winder

Good idea tonyk but my job was to gut out old houses before his trade boys came in. Dig holes. Carry things. Drive. Maybe some painting and tiling or hanging wallpaper. Then build the cheap ikea furniture when it was ready for rental.
I'm an unskilled worker I'm afraid. Don't even have a CSCS card.

Thanks for the idea though, think I might get some quals in the future when times aren't so tough.
Old 21-01-12, 09:19 PM   #6
Ed

So it ain't just me then I think twice before I spend anything. 'Do I REALLY need this?'
Old 22-01-12, 12:26 AM   #7
Urbanfireblade

I'm not that bad off but it does bug me when people all around me(who have way less income) seem to be having kids right now, and i think 'how the hell can they afford it?', but then the tax credit, child benefits etc all kick in i guess. I'm lucky that i have a good paying job, but then i have a big mortgage too so that extra money is gone straight away, and no bike show for me again this year, just not got that 'spare' cash to buy new gear. Most of my stuff is 5+yrs old now
Old 22-01-12, 12:32 AM   #8
paiste

Me too. Grim as it is, in a perverse way its comforting knowing I'm not alone! We're getting rid of a lot of unwanted stuff on ebay to help.
Got my interview a week on Monday to see if I keep my job!!
Old 22-01-12, 12:32 AM   #9
Urbanfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
So it ain't just me then I think twice before I spend anything. 'Do I REALLY need this?'
I have exactly this dilema too, mostly about my riding gear, i have it all, but my leathers are tight(they are 6yrs old and i was a jean size smaller back then!), my jacket is showing its age(again, 6yrs old and was 2ndhand back then!), but i can't justify spending £££'s to buy what i already have.
Old 22-01-12, 12:36 AM   #10
Urbanfireblade

eBay's the key to making money from old stuff. I really should sell my mountain bikes, i got about 8 or so, Kona Explosifs, Kula Deluxe's, Kleins etc. I mullered my right knee badly 2 or 3 yrs ago and stopped riding so they're all surplus now.