SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-12-15, 10:38 PM   #1
ClunkintheUK

Default OMO: podcasts

I am looking to get some podcasts to listen to on my commute. I specifically want some which are more lectures, to get something useful out of my hour and a half on the motorway every day. Think general politics, economics that kind of thing, academic rather than current affairs.

I've done a bit of googlefu, but not gotten very far. Whats a good app for managing podcasts and finding podcasts along this vein? Or even what are some good podcasts?
Old 15-12-15, 10:49 PM   #2
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMO: podcasts

Radio 4 have loads of good stuff.
Old 15-12-15, 10:53 PM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkintheUK View Post
I am looking to get some podcasts to listen to on my commute. I specifically want some which are more lectures, to get something useful out of my hour and a half on the motorway every day. Think general politics, economics that kind of thing, academic rather than current affairs.

I've done a bit of googlefu, but not gotten very far. Whats a good app for managing podcasts and finding podcasts along this vein? Or even what are some good podcasts?
Serial - first series follows a journalist discovering a case of a murfer where she tries to decide whether the accused (and sentenced) is actually guilty.

Stuff you should know - two guys talk about the weirdest of subjects and all fact they find out about it
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-15, 08:55 AM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

A History of the World in 100 Objects - absolutely brilliant series of 15 minute podcasts.
In our Time with Melvyn Bragg - seriously mind stretching and engaging programmes.
The Long View with Jonathon Freedland - interesting series of comparisons between events past and present.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-15, 09:55 AM   #5
ClunkintheUK

What's the best way of getting these onto my phone? I saw there are a number of podcast apps, but don't really know how to rate them. Do they also let you search available podcasts?
Old 16-12-15, 07:10 PM   #6
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

With Radio 4 go into their website when you are on Wi-Fi then just download them and play them via the music app.

I'd also recommend in addition to those already mentioned From Our Own Correspondent, A Life Scientific, All In The Mind, Inside Science and Crossing Continents. All interesting and engaging.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 16-12-15 at 07:15 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-15, 07:33 PM   #7
Teejayexc

Also on radio 4...."The infinite monkey cage" http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w

Informative and quite funny too
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-15, 08:05 PM   #8
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Serial was a brilliant podcast. There's a reason it was the most download podcast for a while.

as the others say The Infinite Monkey Cage is good too... still smile when listening to Entropy Boy when he starts to get annoyed.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote