SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-04, 01:46 PM   #1
BaggaZee

Default Undertray, Grrrr.

I finally took the plunge and bought an undertray for my lovely blue SVS-K2 (on eBay). £45 including delivery which seemed more than fair.
Unfortunately when it arrived it was GRP and came with nothing, no instructions, no fasteners, nada.
So, I've found plenty of fitting options on here but what should I use to fit it, plastic fasteners like those on side seat panels (at the back) or more substantial metal ones. Oh and how many etc?
Basically I have no idea what it should have come with and don't want to end up with an unrideable bike after a long afternoon detroying the practical but ugly original.
Cheers!
Old 17-08-04, 02:19 PM   #2
Ibanez7779

I bought the same one and it's the right size and looks fine (for £45 compared to £100) but prepare for a rather big and difficult job. You have to drill some holes in the new undertray and cut the standard undertray for it to work properly as you know.

If you like I will post some instructions and photos I took while I was doing mine but I'm at work at the moment so I can't go into too much detail just yet...

Clayton
Old 17-08-04, 02:25 PM   #3
BaggaZee

That'd be great, cheers. If you can let me know what fasteners you used and where you got them whilst you're at it that'd be even better!
Old 17-08-04, 03:47 PM   #4
Ibanez7779

I used two of the fasteners that were already on the bike. I don't know what they are called but they clip on the bodywork, and the standard undertray is connected to the bodywork at the back using these two "lugs" which are located (rather annoyingly) just behind the taillight.

What I'm referring to is a kinda clip which clips over a piece of bodywork, into which you insert a screw - I hope thats clear. Like I said, there are two of these on the bike already...

Then, I cut the standard tray just behing the battery box / fuse area, this retained two bolts to connect it back to the frame and I secured it further with some plastic cable ties. I then bought two more of the above mentioned lug things (a few pence each) and secured them to the remnants of the standard undertray, drilling small holes for the screws .

Then the hard part...

You then have to drill 4 holes in the new undertray in the exact place that these lugs are situated, which required a lot of looking, head scratching, fag smoking, fitting, taking off, refitting, lining up the undertray and then drilling the holes hopefully in the right place!

This means that you can see 4 small screws on your undertray, two at the back which are mostly obscured by the numberplate anyway, and two near the fromt where it meets the old undertray. Not ideal but you can harly see them. The undertray is adequately secured in this way.

I hope this makes sense, it's quite hard to explain!

Then there are some nice finishing touches like cleaning up the wiring and making something to retain the toolkit etc...
Old 17-08-04, 04:41 PM   #5
BaggaZee

Ah, of course I'd forgotten that there'll be fasteners there already. I know the ones you mean.
Sounds like a pig of a job coming up, I'd better pick a dry day.
Cheers Ibanez
Old 17-08-04, 09:57 PM   #6
snoopy

eBay link please, I might have to purchase one.
Old 18-08-04, 07:05 AM   #7
Coolboy

I have fitted 3 undertays now and may be able to help. What part of London are you?
Old 18-08-04, 07:34 AM   #8
Ibanez7779

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcharnley
eBay link please, I might have to purchase one.
Just search for "sv650" in ebay and you will get two pages of goodies.

The black GRP updertray is listed every few weeks.
Old 18-08-04, 07:37 AM   #9
snoopy

ok, it's not there at the moment, can you give the ebay num so I can look at in in the archive.
Old 18-08-04, 07:54 AM   #10
Ibanez7779

The one I bought back in June was 7904169662. I don't know if it's the same one as BaggaZee bought but I presume so.