SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-07-14, 03:47 PM   #21
Markos_46

Default Re: SV650s realistic MPG?

I commute 45 miles to work each way, 26 miles of that is motorway which I cruise along at around 80-90mph and my light usually starts to flash around 145-155 miles, still flashing at 180 miles though when I fill up and find it takes around 13/14 litres of fuel. I'm not shy with the right hand around town & give it the the odd 3 figure cob web blast on the motorway
Old 29-07-14, 04:20 PM   #22
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default SV650s realistic MPG?

You could save yourself a lot of money if you don't take the **** with your right hand.

Sent via the medium of interpretive dance.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-14, 04:43 PM   #23
Nutsinatin

I'm averaging about 65 mpg on my K9 with a 50 mile daily commute, I normally shift at 6k but it's not a toodle, I do try to maintain my speed though. I used to sit at the speed limit but I found that going faster made sod all difference to the fuel economy but I got to work 10 mins faster. I don't floor it away from lights either but I don't crawl away. The light normally starts flashing at about 186 where I can get 12/13L in and goes solid about 230.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-14, 07:33 PM   #24
shiftin_gear98

Ah, thats were I'm going wrong. I red line it through the gears from the lights, quite often reach triple figures not on the motorway. Dagnamit.
I tried sticking go the speed limit and pulling away slowly, whilst changing gear at 4000 rpm.
But it was too ****ing boring, might as well have been in the Scenic with kids moaning "are we nearly there yet"..

Still the company fuel card stops me really giving a ****....

Will have to ride like a proper dad if I change job.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 29-07-14 at 07:35 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-14, 09:06 PM   #25
mills94

I can get up to 65 mpg really. The most Ive had out of my 2002 curvy s is 74.9 mpg which was 160miles non stop on the motorway. normal riding is around 60mpg, two up thrashing with a 15 stone pillion and it still gets 55mpg. I dont redline it but change around 8-9K in the last 2 or 3 gears.
Old 01-08-14, 12:23 PM   #26
Pricey12

My fuel light usually comes on around 130 miles. Most of my riding at the moment is short hops to and from work. Interestingly my fuel economy hasn't suffered much with bigger main jets, an opened up K&N and full exhaust system. I was lucky to get 100 miles to the fuel light on my Monster 695, so I'm happy
Old 02-08-14, 09:37 AM   #27
aoleks

I'm doing at least 50mpg on a tank, when riding in the city (london traffic). when I'm cruising long distances, the consumption improves a bit, but not too much. I would say maybe 60mpg. light goes on at 135 miles.

can't wait to see what iridium plugs and a new air filter will do to that.
Old 02-08-14, 12:18 PM   #28
Bibio
Mega Poster

at 135 miles till fuel light which is around 13-14ltr on a pointy then your only getting 43-47mpg if the fuel light comes on later on a curvy then that's even worse. suppose it all depends on if your filling the tank till full every time.

to work out fuel you need to start of with a full tank and zero your trip meter then keep your receipts when filling another full tank to the same level. on each fill up you need to write down the trip mileage on the back of the receipt. to work out fuel consumption its

noted mileage divided by amount of litre on the receipt times 4.546 = MPG

to get a more accurate reading do about 4 fill ups and keep the receipts without setting your trip meter then on the 4th fill up note down the mileage on the back of the receipt add up all the litres then do the sum above. or do what a lot of people do and join fuely.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 06:48 PM   #29
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbydigital36 View Post

On a mechanical side note, I always thought V engines were less efficient in general and that more cylinders, up to a limit would be better for fuel consumption, I know the SV650 has torque low down but I'm really confused how it can reach 60+ mpg.
Traffic won't help, you're wasting all that fuel into heating your brakes up.

I've had 60mpg sitting at a constant 60mph through Wales on the twisties. (don't judge me, my chain was dragging on the ground and I didn't dare thrash it!!)

V twin engines are poor on efficiency because the cylinders are going up and down out of phase, you waste loads of juice just "breathing" air in and out of the cases. On a parallel twin or a four the gas is simply swapped from one side of the cases to the other and no fuel is wasted moving air in and out of the cases.
Old 03-08-14, 09:54 PM   #30
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default SV650s realistic MPG?

And yet, this happens.

Sent via the medium of interpretive dance.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote