SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-07-14, 02:34 PM   #11
Heorot

Default Re: E-petition against surface dressing

You should try riding on the roads round my villa in Turkey. Their idea of surfacing is to spray tar on the existing road surface and then to spread a thick layer of 1cm smooth rounded river gravel pebbles. They never sweep it. I ride a 150cc scooter when in Turkey and its like trying to ride on marbles.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-14, 03:43 PM   #12
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Hey its time to switch to a super moto then.
Old 16-07-14, 04:35 PM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

surface dressing is shizz compared to the new stuff they are putting down which takes just the same amount of time to do but unlike surface dressing the new stuff is amazing, smooth and grippy with no loose chippings. when its done its done.

loose chip and tar surface dressing is bad, the tar seeps threw the chip during the summer, when the winter comes and the rain starts it's like riding on black ice. the cold during the winter cracks the tar and you end up with brick sized patches starting to come loose then it just gets worse. south ayrshire has to be the worst case i have ever encountered of bad surface dressing in my life. dont even get me started on the roads where you can still see the scraping threw the surface.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-14, 04:39 PM   #14
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
You should try riding on the roads round my villa in Turkey. Their idea of surfacing is to spray tar on the existing road surface and then to spread a thick layer of 1cm smooth rounded river gravel pebbles. They never sweep it. I ride a 150cc scooter when in Turkey and its like trying to ride on marbles.
I wouldn't mind if I had a light scooter to ride on, it's trying to ride on a large bike that's the problem.

Even if every procedure is followed the stuff is still a complete nightmare for two weeks and a pain in the neck for long afterwards. Even once swept I've NEVER seen a road without patches of missed gravel which are next to invisible compared to the properly fixed stuff.

It also tends to wear thin in patches straight away when done on roads with high traffic volumes.
Old 16-07-14, 06:14 PM   #15
Sweetthy

Done!
Old 16-07-14, 06:40 PM   #16
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Done
Old 16-07-14, 06:47 PM   #17
cheesypeeps

Default E-petition against surface dressing

Complete and posted on another forum as well.
Old 16-07-14, 09:37 PM   #18
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Man up the lot of you.....it just helps to keep things interesting. You'll be wanting red and white kerbs next and maybe a marshal on every bend?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-14, 09:40 PM   #19
AJC

Signed, I usually cant be bothered signing petitions as I am quite considerably lazy. However after going sideways on this shizzle multiple times I feel strongly enough to use up 45 seconds of my time, strong feelings indeed! Also almost as bad is when you follow another bike on this and feel like your paintballing, but with extra hard stone shaped things called stones!...
Old 16-07-14, 10:27 PM   #20
DJFridge

Not signed. I agree with those who blame poor contractors rather than the process itself. It is the standard method certainly in our little patch of West Sussex and usually works ok. Yes, the first couple of days can be a little interesting on a bike but it is always clearly signed, so if you ride like normal at that point you deserve to fall off. Within a few days of traffic, you have a good, grippy surface on which you can ride with no trouble. The fact they tend to leave the 20mph signs up for weeks after can be irritating mind you.