SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-15, 04:59 PM   #1
tom_e

Default SK5 Lock set

Anyone know anywhere that sells a brand new set of locks?
My ignition is becoming very difficult to actually get the key to turn and considering the bikes 10 years old and done 26k it'd be nice to treat it to a shiny new set if it's not going to break the bank.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 05:24 PM   #2
Ruffy

Default Re: SK5 Lock set

If you've got any mechanical inclination, you may be able to fettle the existing to improve things. See this thread.

This wear in ignition locks is a common problem. What's the worst that can happen - you properly knacker something that you're thinking of replacing anyway! Unless it's a daily driver, it's got to be worth an experiment.

(Ouch - Robinson's Foundry list a complete lockset for £327, or just an ignition key for £155. These are to order for a curvy but I bet pointy parts are similar priced. A phone call to a Suzuki dealer will furnish you with accurate info.)

Last edited by Ruffy; 01-12-15 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added price info
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 08:05 PM   #3
tom_e

It's my only form of transport so can't afford to knacker it unfortunately, yeah I did some digging round the official spare parts places after I made this thread and the cheapest was 255 Euro.
Old 01-12-15, 11:52 PM   #4
tom_e

Think I'm going to try and pick up a slightly newer used set from eBay, at least then I can give Bibos trick a go on a spare if needed.
Old 02-12-15, 12:58 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

wemoto sell complete sets fairly cheep and decent quality.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 05:19 AM   #6
tom_e

Wemoto didn't seem to have any when I looked but I found a local place with the exact same ones they sell with some in stock. £68 for a full lock set even if it needs replacing in a couple of years I could buy 3 before I've spent as much as the Suzuki set cost.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-15, 11:33 PM   #7
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
It's my only form of transport so can't afford to knacker it unfortunately...
Fair enough - you have to balance the risk.
Quote:
Think I'm going to try and pick up a slightly newer used set from eBay, at least then I can give Bibos trick a go on a spare if needed.
Quote:
...I found a local place with the exact same ones they sell with some in stock. £68 for a full lock set even if it needs replacing in a couple of years I could buy 3 before I've spent as much as the Suzuki set cost.
Sounds pretty reasonable, all things considered. But perhaps consider how long delivery would take - could you dismantle and experiment on the original (remember you've got to remove the existing one anyway and a used one is probably not going to be any better than your original). If it works you can refit it or, if not, order a new one to fit. Or is the risk of being without the bike more serious than a couple of days on public transport?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 08:56 AM   #8
tom_e

The new set is arriving tomorrow and I've got the day off so I'll be able to fit it, then I can experiment away with my old one so if I get it working then I've got a spare at least.
Old 03-12-15, 10:25 AM   #9
Corny Gizmo

tom_e, let me know if it works and if its easy etc please mate. I need to file mine down, I have to pull the key towards the tank so I can turn the ignition.
Old 03-12-15, 10:34 AM   #10
tom_e

Will do from what I've seen the most difficult bit is going to be actually getting to the green connector on the loom, and when I want to replace the seat lock it looks like I need to strip the rear plastics off so that might wait as long as my ignition is sorted.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk