SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-12-15, 08:28 PM   #11
Ruffy

Default Re: removing restrictors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
... which has to be the 46bhp as the 33bhp is illegal under the new rules. ...
Erm, why? I know it's a derail but please explain this assertion because I don't think it's correct.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-15, 08:46 PM   #12
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Erm, why? I know it's a derail but please explain this assertion because I don't think it's correct.
So my own curiosity got hold of me and I did some research. It looks like I was wrong and Lithium is correct (apologies to you, Lithium ).

According to the rules, an A2 bike can't be restricted to less than half its unrestricted power, which means that to restrict to 33bhp an unrestricted SV shouldn't make more than 66bhp, which of course the pointy models do. Therefore, an SV can't be restricted by a 33bhp ECU if it is to be legal.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-15, 08:57 PM   #13
DJ123
Mega Poster

he's removing the restrictor, not installing it

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-15, 09:17 PM   #14
Lithium

Yes Ruffy that was the reasoning. Its a little thing but if your in a situation where they are checking if its restricted they will be picky enough regarding that as well. Which is a pain in the ass as the 33bhp restrictors can be picked up pretty cheap.
From what I read Daddy was that the enquiry was derestricting a bike that has not yet been purchased so was just offering the info incase it would help.

"I'm looking at buying an sv650 that's been restricted for A2 licence"
I was in a similar situation and it worked out better to restrict it myself as it opened up the pool of bikes to shop from.

Last edited by Lithium; 28-12-15 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added reference to initial post
Old 28-12-15, 11:13 PM   #15
DomP

I'm going the other way, de-restricting. Would it be visibly obvious to see if its restricted then
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-15, 11:52 AM   #16
Lithium

If you were say just walking past the bike then no not really. For ECU its a black box under your seat that you would check the model number of to indicate wether it is restricted or not.
The throttle stop is visible if you look closely between the gap in the frame on the left hand side.

Knowing what type of restriction it is on the other hand is more difficult as far as I am aware. You would have to know the model number of each ECU to know which it is and with a throttle stop theres no chance.
Old 29-12-15, 08:39 PM   #17
stuartb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
According to the rules, an A2 bike can't be restricted to less than half its unrestricted power, which means that to restrict to 33bhp an unrestricted SV shouldn't make more than 66bhp, which of course the pointy models do. Therefore, an SV can't be restricted by a 33bhp ECU if it is to be legal.
Isn't the upper limit 35kW (~47bhp) for an A2 license?
Old 29-12-15, 11:17 PM   #18
Tomor
Mega Poster

I think you may find that the ' half of original power for restriction ' is only applicable for the test. If it was for the license ongoing, it means that it would be illegal to ride a 125 on an A2 license, which we all know isn't true.
Old 30-12-15, 11:17 AM   #19
Lithium

It is specific to the restriction, on an A2 lisence you cannot ride a motorcycle that has been restricted below half of its original power.
You can ride a 125 as its not restricted. Assuming a power output of 14bhp from a 125 if you restricted to less than 7bhp then it would in fact be illegal. In these scenarios it seems a bit odd and I imagine the obvious intent is to stop someone buying a R1 and restricting it down to A2.

The problem is with insurance if they are checking if you have restricted the bike they will most likely also check that it's restricted to the correct legal standard and if they find a way to not pay out they will take it.
Also if the accident was your fault and your insurance say your policy is invalid the police then slap you with riding without insurance (6 points and a hefty fine?) and if they want to be arses riding without a lisence for the specific vehicle.

This is all worst case and in hindsight irrelevant if the restrictor is going to be removed. On first read I thought Dom was going to be on A2 for a while before derestricting which appears not to be the case.

Last edited by Lithium; 30-12-15 at 11:22 AM.