SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-16, 11:51 AM   #1
Craigg

Default New Rider - Testing an SFV650?

Hi folks,

i am a new rider looking for some advice.

I passed my test last Thursday (used an ER6 for training) and I really want a Naked pointy 650. my issue is that the nearest dealer that has a SV650N is nearly 200miles away.

so was having a look, and a dealer in Edinburgh has a SFV650 Gladius, so i have booked a test ride on that, to see how i get on. issue is, I'm not sure if it will be representative of a Naked SV?

I have done a fair bit of searching online about the differences, and the general theme I'm seeing is that its a bit smaller, and softer than the SV.

For reference, im 6'4 and 17stone. the chat i keep hearing is that the SV is too small for me, but i sat on a 650S in a dealer, and apart from the bars being too low, it felt alright (hence me thinking an N will be ok?).

So will the SFV give me any idea what the SV650 is like? or is it just a waste of time?

Cheers,
Craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-16, 12:07 PM   #2
tom_e

Default Re: New Rider - Testing an SFV650?

According to http://cycle-ergo.com/ you'll be a bit less upright and a bit more crouched on an N than a SFV.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-16, 01:23 PM   #3
shiftin_gear98

tom_e good link, thanks.
Old 24-03-16, 02:44 PM   #4
Craigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_e View Post
According to http://cycle-ergo.com/ you'll be a bit less upright and a bit more crouched on an N than a SFV.
Cheers for that, interesting link!

it's strange because when I sat on the SV650S and the SFV right next to it, I could have sworn the Gladius was lower?
Old 24-03-16, 03:18 PM   #5
Corny Gizmo

It may be lower but other things may also have been changed which changed the riding position
Old 24-03-16, 07:21 PM   #6
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigg View Post
Hi folks,

For reference, im 6'4 and 17stone. the chat i keep hearing is that the SV is too small for me, but i sat on a 650S in a dealer, and apart from the bars being too low, it felt alright (hence me thinking an N will be ok?).

Cheers,
Sitting on it gives an idea but wait until you ride it for a while. I'm 6'3 and have a naked pointy. While I really like the bike, after a couple of hours my knees are killing me and legs are starting to get stiff. Although they are quite old knees ..... Yours might be younger with better hydraulics.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-16, 09:50 PM   #7
yamrdtez

you could get a jack up kit
Old 26-03-16, 08:21 AM   #8
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamrdtez View Post
you could get a jack up kit
Nah. It's not the seat height itself; it's seat to peg distance and knee angle. i don't want to lower the pegs any but repacking and raising the seat a little might be an option.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-16, 04:47 PM   #9
Tigerjohn

There is a high seat option for the Gladius which raises the std seat by about 1 inch - Suzuki list price is £150 but expect discount from the dealer. Even with that, at 6' 4", you'll find the Gladius a bit cramped. But, it's a very rewarding bike to ride and cheap as chips at the moment.
Old 30-03-16, 09:08 AM   #10
Craigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjohn View Post
There is a high seat option for the Gladius which raises the std seat by about 1 inch - Suzuki list price is £150 but expect discount from the dealer. Even with that, at 6' 4", you'll find the Gladius a bit cramped. But, it's a very rewarding bike to ride and cheap as chips at the moment.
it wasnt too cramped, but then i was only on it for about an hour, was a pretty nice ride.
still want to try an SV though, but nowhere bloody has one available for Demo's I'd even settle for trying an S, to see how the engine is. (closest garage with a Naked in is just south of Sunderland)

in terms of ergonomics, it seems (thanks to that cycle-ergo) website, that an SV650N is very close to the ER6n that I learned on.

think i might just have to bite the bullet and buy one, trial by fire and all that!