SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-02-19, 08:57 AM   #531
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The running thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
It was quite nice this morning, I got to tell my boss off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Gary I showed him your links.
Be interesting to see what he says once he's read them.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-19, 09:47 AM   #532
shiftin_gear98

To be fair to him, it's his first dog. I don't think he had any idea that it could be bad for the dog. I didn't know either. He does love the mutt so, I'm hoping he stops running with it for now. I did hear him tell his missus on the phone that he shouldn't be running with the dog. So who knows.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-19, 12:21 AM   #533
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Well, I think this is the first time I've posted in this thread as I've always said I'll never be a runner but...

I started running a few months ago using the couch25k app as part of my quest to lose weight and get fitter and hopefully keep up a bit better with the dogs at agility shows.
After 9 weeks of following the app I was able to run 5k (I say run but it's not exactly fast) after that I kept running 5k a few times a week trying to get my speed up that was until a few weeks ago when our eldest daughter signed me up for a half marathon!
That gave me just 9 weeks to go from running 5k to being able to do a half marathon, that marathon is now just 3 weeks away now
Old 17-02-19, 01:39 AM   #534
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Wow! Well done DD. Some solid training coming up then by the look of it. I was chatting with someone today who runs quite a few marathons and half marathons and he said the key to longer runs is always one of pace. It's tempting to push yourself and go too fast, rather than matching pace to distance.

I assume the HM is a tarmac based event?

Get yourself onto Strava and post up some links and pics of runs.
Old 17-02-19, 08:23 AM   #535
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Yeah 9 weeks isn't much to go from 5k runs to a 21k run, I even lost a couple of weeks when it snowed then I had a bad cold which took a while to shake off.
I'm on strava and looking at run analysis on there my pace is pretty consistent at around 7min a km. I did my longest run yesterday of 12.7k in 1hour 29minutes.
The HM is the Thames meander, so some tarmac and Thames river path/trail
Old 17-02-19, 06:59 PM   #536
shiftin_gear98

Yay, someone else who runs... Good on you DD.
Good luck with the training, and for me. It's not about pushing myself to try to get faster, but in finding and maintaining my running style and my bodies pace to do the distance required. I'm hoping with time my body will naturally pick up pace as a bonus. I know as I get a bit fitter it feels easier.

Well it would if this sodding cold would bugger off.
Its on my chest now. So running out for a few days. Pity.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-19, 07:59 PM   #537
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Good on ya DD. Best of luck!

Just the 2 miles for me tonight. Felt a lot tougher for some reason. Maybe I went a bit faster
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-19, 08:46 PM   #538
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Cheers guys, I'm surprising myself every time I go for a run.
I'm not overly bothered about pace, it seems pretty consistent at around 6:50-7mins km. if I get faster then it's just a nice byproduct.

One thing is for sure I certainly wouldn't have been able to do any of this running lark a year ago and going from someone who would drive to the shop that's only half a mile away to running 10k without feeling that I need a paramedic on standby is an achievement
Old 17-02-19, 10:50 PM   #539
garynortheast
Mega Poster

It's a great feeling ain't it? The hardest part, I find, is actually getting out the door at the start. I'm absolutely blessed with some glorious countryside and trails here, and once I'm out there it's sublime running.

In common with many other folks I suspect, it's great for my mental wellbeing too; at times it can feel like the only thing stopping me from falling off the edge. I've spoken to a few others who've said similar things.

I've learned to appreciate running in all sorts of weather too. Running in snow on the trails here is fabulous, but then some of the woodland trails in spring, early in the morning are just fantastic with fresh leaves, flowers and all the birds singing their heads off.

Not going to get the chance to run tomorrow but I shall be out there on Tuesday morning. I was supposed to have run today as part of a recce for a canicross relay around Telford next month, the Telford T50/50 relay challenge, but due to a sick vehicle I couldn't get there. The relay is on 10th March so hopefully it'll be sorted before then.

Keep going DD, just bear in mind that it's an addictive thing!
Old 17-02-19, 11:48 PM   #540
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

The goal at the moment is to finish the half marathon, I'm not looking much further ahead than that at the moment.
I like just getting out in the fresh air with my headphones on and being in my own little world for a little while

I'd like to get into canicross but the dogs would end up dragging me into a canal, river or something similar. They're both terrible on the lead