SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-14, 12:42 PM   #1
Sweetthy

Default Sunday 29th June accident

Hello guys,

Well as title says I had a accident yesterday. In a but shell a car pull out of a junction about 20 metres from me doing 30mph.
Slam the front brake lock the front wheel, while the rear, according to a witness was up in the air. Let the brake go and re-apply but lost it, bike fall on my right knee and slide.

Bottom line I have no much skin left on the knee, I can walk today.

But as mentioned I have a witness (a taxi driver) saying the same as me. However the car driver who pull in front of me said to the police officer last night that he didn't move from the junction and that I braked for no reason. However when I was on the floor he said (before the officer was there) "sorry I didn't see you, sorry I didn't see you with the sun".

Already been on the phone with Dalton White, and spoke to my insurance both said it should but 100% his liability but will take a while if he carry on with denying pulling of the junction.

It was the last time I rode with normal jean.

I only saw the police officer's picture of the bike but so far I know I have the following broken:
- front brake leaver
- rear brake pedal
- front right indicator
- right crush number
- front top fairing missing paint
And it was leaking was on it's side, but the officer who is a biker herself said it wasn't leaking while park on the side.

My helmet isn't damaged as I didn't hit the floor with it, but jean's, jacket and gloves are gone - my new alpinestar boots are ever so slightly scratched with really annoy me!!!

Will keep you updated and will posted the required part once I get it back this afternoon. The expert should come and visit in couple of days.

Last edited by Sweetthy; 30-06-14 at 12:45 PM.
Old 30-06-14, 01:18 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sunday 29th June accident

GWS glad its not tooo bad.

Lucky you have witness & you remembered what they said.

It'll drag on, but with a witness, it should be quicker
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-14, 01:19 PM   #3
Skybaba

Sorry to hear that.

Try and find something to learn from the accident to make you a better rider.
All the best.
Old 30-06-14, 01:24 PM   #4
dkid

Sorry to hear this. Glad you were able to walk away. It's a big plus that you have the taxi driver acting as witness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30-06-14, 01:24 PM   #5
Sweetthy

Cheers for your comments, well for sure I will not ride in Jean's anymore. Apart from that not sure what I could improved upon after it. I was looking at the driver's face and he was looking at me, no reasons to think he didn't saw me, and you cannot stop to give way at every junctions because those reckless car driver are not concentrated.

When doing my direct access the instructor told me I will become a better car driver after riding a bike and his was so right, your awareness is miles better!!!
Old 30-06-14, 01:56 PM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

Glad you're (relatively) OK!

Sometimes road positioning can help, moving out towards the centre of the road for instance increases the angle between you and the driver, making your approach more obvious. If you're coming straight at them, bizarely it seems to take the human brain longer to register movement. That's not to say that this is your fault at all, at some point you need to just make a judgement call that reasonably you must have been seen, but there are a few things that I now do that seem to help me have fewer near misses.

Get the bike assessed, if at all possible get it back to yours so it's not racking up storage fees.

Once it's been assessed by an insurer you can work out what the cost of putting it right is and decide what you want to do.

You can get kevlar jeans from hood/draggin jeans and a few others that are a compromise between leathers and standard denim that may be worth a look if you don't fancy full gear all the time.

Hope you're feeling better soon and that the insurance process doesn't drag on too long!

Jambo
Old 30-06-14, 02:02 PM   #7
Sweetthy

I have two mates coming this afternoon to push it back to mine, luckily just about 3/4 minutes walk. The insurance expert will contact me to assess the bike in the next couple of days, more likely will do the repair myself if possible, then wait for the case to be Seattle in order to fix the cosmetic damages.

The guys at Dalton White were very helpful and would recommend to all to ring before ringing your insurance as they advice me on cost and options, originally the insurance refused to send the expert to mine and insisted on the bike to be taken to there local repair shop.
Old 30-06-14, 04:09 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

The witness will be everything in this case.Did the police speak to him and do you have his details.You will need this bloke.
Old 30-06-14, 04:13 PM   #9
Sweetthy

Yeah the police spoke to him, and will get statement Wednesday, I already gave my insurance his details. Will ring him later on also.

Got the bike back, so far the neutral light doesn't come on, but manage to find it and the dash board has a check message, however the bike started fine.
Old 30-06-14, 06:17 PM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Well done for keeping it together.
Good you have a witness.
Some people are bar stewards aren't they.
Shame about the knee but it will get better.
Ok leathers would be better but kevlar ones are cool and better of the bike.