SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-08-14, 09:32 PM   #1
tactcom7

Default EE or Three?

Evening all,

I'm changing networks and as EE and Three are the only two that get signal where I work I was wondering if you lot have had any good/bad experiences with either company?

Main thing really is network coverage/reliability and customer service.

Had a nightmare with O2 and as such am ending my iphone contract early so I'll be needing a new phone with it too.

Thanks in advance

Si
Old 27-08-14, 09:59 PM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: EE or Three?

I got a three sim as it meant I could use it in the States and keep my minutes/data while out there! Bloody fantastic! Waiting on my o2 contact to finish so I can move over perm... Other people I've heard on EE have moaned about the terrible customer service.
Old 28-08-14, 06:46 AM   #3
EssexDave

I was on Orange at the time they swapped to EE. I had renewed my contract I think one month after they had changed, and I managed to get them to cancel a contract after 6 months as they were totally unable to provide me with what they'd offered me!

I was going to leave to go to Three (for unlimited Internet) when I was offered by the retentions team:

A brand new Samsung Galaxy S3 (hot at the time)
2gb internet & 1gb free for being a young 'un.
2 Swappables (not sure if they still do this but I was looking at Deezer & Sky Sports Mobile for free, and it doesn't use your internet allowance).

Now, the reason I took the contract was for the swappables, but they never delivered. I didn't have one for three months, then I had one and they said they were unable to give me the second but would knock £5 off my bill and in the end I told them to cancel the contract. I sent the phone back and that was the last dealings I'd had with them.

After speaking to twenty monkeys first, I did get through to an extremely helpful lady who essentially gave me exactly what I wanted and was very understanding.

I'm now with Three, and I can't fault them. The Feel At Home perk is great if you're abroad a lot - yes it is only certain destinations but it looks like it is expanding. I was in Austria for 6 weeks and being able to call home, surf the internet and message at no additional cost was great!

As for the customer service, I haven't needed to test it out, so I couldn't possibly comment.
Old 28-08-14, 06:57 AM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Same as above for me. I'm with Three. Feel at home is amazing! However if you are in a country that doesn't operate the three network data is £5 per day which is quite steep! I know it's unlimited but if you are in Europe for a month you can rack up
a hefty bill on data!

Not had to use the customer service yet. So can't comment. Coverage has been fine so far although probably not as extensive as the others. That said three don't operate a 2G network so with three you either have everything or nothing.

4G is starting to be rolled out more and more and no extra charge whereas all other networks wanted £10 more for 4G capability.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-14, 07:07 AM   #5
Ben.tattooer

I'm with three, decent price, unlimited internet. Comes in handy when away from home as I can tether my ipad from the phone, and I stream spotify all day without worrying about data usage.

Coverage seems fine, and I get 4g a lot more now for no extra cost. No brainier really who wants a smart phone that you can only use smartly for a finite time each month before getting charged.

Oh and unlimited internet means unlimited waze if you need a sat nav on the bike.
Old 28-08-14, 07:14 AM   #6
L3nny
Mega Poster

Been with Three since August, it's not the best for siglan but not the worst, however when you do get signal it's usually fast 3G and more regularly 4G, which you get for no extra cost.

I can't understand why anyone would want 4G with another provider as they usially give tiny data allowences which if you are using 4G speeds could be used up in minutes! With Three it's actually unlimited, I can even tether other devices to it for no extra fee.

Had to call them when I was in France as they didn't automatically enable roaming and they sorted that out quickly althogh I did have to speak to a few different people, all with thick Indian accents, never had to call them for anything else.
Old 28-08-14, 07:41 AM   #7
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default EE or Three?

I'm with three on my iPhone and had EE double speed 4g on my iPad. Cancelled the EE after a month as I was getting better speeds on my three 3G connection than EE 4g.

Now as many people have said you get unlimited internet which is awesome. However those who have recently gone to them may not have read their terms.

Unlimited internet yes.
Free 0800 calls yes.
Free 4g yes.
Free tethering....well...yes up to a 2gb/month limit.

If you are on an old tariff prior to when the free 0800 numbers came in it is actually unlimited tethering. But any new ones are limited so watch yourselves.

Feel at home is awesome, my mate was in Bali and I was still able to speak to him etc so very handy.

There is also a free app called three in touch so you can use your allowance when connected to wifi if you don't have any signal.

And I think possibly wifi on the underground too.

Anyway to sum it up, EE are robbing bar stewards. Three are great when you don't speak to them (other than recently due to a house move and no signal I haven't had to speak to customer services for 5 years).
Old 28-08-14, 07:41 AM   #8
EssexDave

4G is amazing on Three. At my parents, I did a speediest on their AOL broadband running 4mbps (yes I keep telling them to swap) and I had around 7.5mbps on 3G on my iPhone.

I have, in London, received over 28mbps from Three 4G which is pretty good!
Old 28-08-14, 12:27 PM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

On EE, Was only person on the AR 14 posting on the Internet.
Main reason for EE is its the only thing that works at home and work.
Sarah got a new O2 mobile. It's no good for texts even. Trying to cancel it was a nightmare.
She is now on E E as well.

Last edited by NTECUK; 28-08-14 at 12:28 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-14, 03:26 PM   #10
davepreston

^^^^^^
close but not quite right, talk mobile worked