SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-12-14, 11:05 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Question Tools

well i had some of my hand tools stolen out my shed so i'm in the market for some nice shiny new ones. the tools i had stolen were my main bike maintenance ones so not that many and they were only halfords pro range.

i have had various makes of tools in my life and so far the halfords pro have been pretty good but they dont do 6 point sockets any more. i dont really like 12 point sockets and have always found the 6 point to be better at taking rusted nutz/bolts off.

i was thinking of Facom as i have always heard good reports about their tools but never used them.

i have a MAC tools van man round the corner but the prices are pretty steep for hobby work.

P.s if anyone wants work done on their bike from now on they buy me a tool
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 11:21 PM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: Tools

I might have a spare set of Bahco (sp) 6 pointers in my dads garage, I may have given them to a friends son when he started his apprenticeship but not sure, let me have a rake next week mate.
Old 12-12-14, 11:21 PM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

The bits of teng tools I have got are superb

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 11:23 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

that would be great KG and moocho grassyass
Old 12-12-14, 11:26 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
The bits of teng tools I have got are superb
i had one of these and it was superb only problem i can see with the Teng is they are dull rather than polished which makes it hard to clean the burgers. apart from that i have looked at their stuff.
Old 12-12-14, 11:33 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Re: Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i had one of these and it was superb only problem i can see with the Teng is they are dull rather than polished which makes it hard to clean the burgers. apart from that i have looked at their stuff.
Never had a problem with mine.
Solvent on a rag is the most any of my tools get

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 11:51 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

I rate the Bahco 6pt set I have, my 1/2" drive metric stuff is first choice before my snap on stuff.

But as one of my snap on ratchets is over 50 years old, it would be good to know the Bahco one would last that time.

yes they are dull, but that doesn't bother me. The rubber grip on the ratchets is nice in the cold weather. But god, do they look filthy when all the orange gets coated in oil/grease.
Old 13-12-14, 12:16 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

my favourite of all time is Gedore as i have a few bits'n'pieces of the stuff including a very old push through ratchet thats my number one go to with stubborn nuts/bolts and its superb but my lordy lord what a price these days.

i used to like the Britool but the quality went down the pan in the 90's and never recovered they have to be the worst tools i have ever encountered in my life with chrome pealing off and the steel must be made of the same stuff jap bike bolts are as they are the only tools i have ever been able to chew the edge of spanners and sockets on.

the best of the best tools i have ever used was very old King ****.
Old 13-12-14, 12:23 AM   #9
jetfire1383

most of mine are clarke/draper/halfords/sealy and most have lifetime warranty.
i used to work in a garage (pro mechanic) and ive had most of them for 10 years and no probs as of yet, some are showing signs of wear now but still work.
that said i have always been hard on my hand tools so they could all do with replacing now, as for 6 sided sockets get black impact ones they are near un breakable
Old 13-12-14, 12:53 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

i was considering impact sockets but i tend to use 3/8 on bikes so i cant beef nuts/bolts up to much and i only really use 1/2 inch on big/stubborn stuff.

shizz there is another thing that was in the bag.. my torque wrench. oohh well.