SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-12-16, 08:23 PM   #1
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default SV650s to Street Triple?

Hi. I've noticed a few people on here seem to have gone from riding SV650s to Triumph Street Triples. I'm still considering doing the top yolk bar conversion on my SV but also got thinking maybe I should just be looking at putting the money it's going to cost (a few hundred £ as I'll be paying someone to fit it all) towards a different bike that is already slightly more upright. The obvious choice would be something like a Street Triple.

Can anyone offer their experience of going from an SV to the Striple and what they prefer. Is the position and feel of the bike a lot different? A few kg lighter doesn't sound like much? But does it feel lighter to ride? Is that due to the bars and position and something that would be similar on the SV once the conversion was done? Also power, gearing and throttle response, especially at lower city and town speeds? I don't really need any more power than the SV and to be honest would sometimes benefit from slightly less. I'd like to use the SV in the city more but with the steering handling and engine wanting to do more than the 20 to 30mph city speed limits I never end up using it as much as I'd like. I do like to have enough power to position myself quickly on dual carriageways though and get out of blind spots on overtakes.

Any other input or insights of what the bike change would offer would be greatly appreciated. It would cost a fair amount I think to even trade in or sell towards a Striple, so if it wouldn't be much different to the SV with bar conversion then I'd probably not think about it.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 11-12-16 at 08:25 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-16, 09:22 PM   #2
scotty217

Default Re: SV650s to Street Triple?

Hi mate, I changed from my SV sk6 to a 2012 Striple at Easter. I feel that i sit much taller than my SV, i can see farther, and there is oodles of creamy smooth power. I feel that i can filter better because of this better riding position and vision. Brakes are excellent and acceleration is a dream, I feel that you can bimble along at 25 in top, twist your wrist and be flying in no time. My route to work is Telford to Birmingham centre: A5 - M6 - A34 with a wee short tunnel at the end where i always flip my visor and listen to that V twin blare - now a triple wail! If you do change to a striple you won't regret it.

Scotty
Old 11-12-16, 11:01 PM   #3
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

There is a huge difference between the SV and a street triple, especially if you go for the R.

The only things that aren't better in my opinion are the steering lock and on bike storage.

If you are coming from a faired SV the riding position is completely different, you will get a much better view of what is happening and you'll have more usable power on tap. The build quality in my opinion is miles better but I rode a curvy and that thing loved to rust.

The best idea though is go for a test ride and see and feel the differences for yourself.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 12:06 AM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Thanks guys.
@Carelesschucca, when you say steering lock I take it you mean inability to turn as tightly? I do find I'd like my SV to be able to turn slightly more tightly than it can. And on bike storage as in under seat? There's not masses on the SV although the bit under the rear seat is useful for a few small bits I tend to use my Kriega 10 and or 20 bag fixed over it if I'm carrying anything bigger than sandwiches and a small U-Lock. I'm guessing the Kriega setup would work fine on a Striple.

@Scotty217. I do love the sound of my SV and my only experience of the Striple is hearing someone who lives down the road come home occaisionaly and it sounds very quiet and whirry, although by the looks of it it transforms into a great sound once moving?

Do either of you have a screen on yours? How would that compare to the faired SV? I do find the SV protection from the fairing to be just about right for me although also appreciated the feel of being open to the wind on my previous naked bike to experience the ride speed more. Being battered by wind was definitely tiring on longer journeys though.
Old 12-12-16, 05:54 AM   #5
Swin

two people I know have Street Triples, both say it's the best bike they've ever owned.
Personally, I don't like the looks and it sounds like a hoover, even with an aftermarket Arrow can on it!
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 10:17 AM   #6
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I'm not blown away by it aesthetically either as it does look a bit busy for my liking, similar to the MT07 with quite a lot going on in the lower half, but the main thing for me is the ride. If I was going on looks I'd choose something more calssic, Bonneville etc for my tastes but would probably regret it when actually riding it.

From examples I can find on Youtube it sounds great when opened up! I'd agree about the hoover comment at lower speeds, which is my only real world experience of our neighbour coming home at 10mph down a small road with that sewing machine sound that so many bikes have.

I'm not sure if it's the clip-ons on the SV that make it feel heavier to ride than it is? Steering on smaller roads at lower speeds can be hard work for extended times. Long faster rides with sweeping curved roads and it's great. In fact even the low position is perfect at 60mph+ as wind pressure on your chest lifts you to a perfect light feeling riding position. But an hour at lower speeds and my wrists and neck complain. A more upright position might sort that, but then I don't want to be hanging off the back of the bike battered by wind at 70mph either.

Looks like there's a few nearby at a dealer second hand so I may go have a look. All just ideas at this stage as I won't have the budget until next year. Just trying to decide whether to hold off investing in the SV bar conversion at the moment.
Old 12-12-16, 10:48 AM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

You won't get the money back if you invest in the bar conversion.but its a whole heap cheaper than the stripple.
They are a proper hooligan of a bike in the right(wrong) Hands.
Old 12-12-16, 11:02 AM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Can it be ridden easily in a non-hooligan way? Does it behave at lower speeds and I guess most importantly is the steering "lighter"?

If I did the bar conversion on the SV I know I wouldn't get the money back if I sold it, in fact it may even be worth less, which is part of the reason I'm sceptical about doing the conversion to solve my problems... if it doesn't work then I'd be spending more on it, then lose from selling and have even less for something else. But if I sell the SV as it is with clip ons and add on the bar conversion money I'd be nearer a Striple, albeit an older early model with a fair amount of miles on. Looks like they sometimes go for about £3200. My SV with all the add ons right now might be worth £2300 ish and the bar conversion with parts is likely to be about £300 to £400?
Old 12-12-16, 11:04 AM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I've also got a very rare 250 that I'm currently doing up and having second thoughts on looking at my list of things to do on it! That might sell towards funding a Striple too unless I get motivated!
Old 12-12-16, 11:43 AM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

We'll I would have a Street Triple but the looks don't do anything for me, I want them to encase the head lights in a fairing like my Curvy has, I think it would look great, but the naked triple doesn't. Sorry

Having put Gilles Vario bars on mine, to raise the riding position, I would say its worth it, plus a gel seat + double bubble transformed the long distance comfort.

The Vario bars take all the weight off your wrists & palms, so riding in town is a much happier experience, although I don't think the V twin is the nicest to ride in slow traffic, the Triple or an inline 4 would be smoother.

The curvy is a bit of a PITA to do a bar conversion on, only because the fairing restricts what you can do safely within MOT regs, but it is worth doing because the OEM clip ons & seat are the work of the devil, I could ride more than 30 miles without excruciating pain, and I'd have to stop.

Something like this won't break the bank & may solve your immediate dilemma and discomfort.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...IAAOSwL7VWhNuW

IMHO I'm sure its the angle of the OEM bars that's responsible for most of the discomfort, my Vario bars are almost horizontal.

If these work, then buy some better quality, if not start saving for the Striple
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote