SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-10, 08:28 AM   #1
webber87

Default Bike cuts out/'sputters' whilst riding.

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my SV and wondered if anyone had experience anything like it before or could offer some advice? It would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2000 SV650S, 30,000 on the clock. Data tool system installed. No mods.

I started having troubles a few months back whilst riding, with the engine 'sputtering' or 'jumping'- It feels like I am pulling in the clutch and quickly releasing it again. It started off happening at higher speeds (50mph+) which was quite unnerving, but eventually started to happen at lower speeds.

This then progressed from frequent 'sputtering' to complete cutting out of the engine either whilst on the gas or off. So i would have to pull over and wait a few minutes a) for the ignition button to respond, and b) because it stank of petrol so can only assume it flooded in the process....

So over the past few months its been in and out of the garage and had: cleaned spark plugs, new spark plugs (ran well for a day and then back to the usual!), and most recently a new ignition barrel (the electrics were checked throughout the bike apparently and there was a fault in the ignition barrel- we knew there was an issue with it so thought this could be the cause).

I'd had it back a week since the ignition barrel had been changed and thought it had been cured, but a couple of days ago again at high speeds it started sputtering and backfiring as though it were miss-firing....and then at low speeds....and today has been an all time low! It must have cut out 4 times in the space of 100m. Each time i went to start it again initially the ignition switch wouldn't fire it (as though the immobilizer were still engaged) and then it would fire up with a backfire and die straight away.

The guy I take it too thinks the immobilizer magnets (?) could be worn and causing it to cut out, so I think if I take it back to him that will be the next thing he takes a look at/tries to remove. I've been wanting to sell the bike so I can get another one but feel I can't pass it on to someone in the current state unless I sell it for pennies.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-07-10, 08:40 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike cuts out/'sputters' whilst riding.

If you have a concern about the immobiliser, bypass it and test the bike - this is easy and will soon tell you if the problem lies there.
If it does then check the quality of the immobiliser connections - the units themselves are very reliable, a significant majority of problems in this area are caused by poor connections.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 08:44 AM   #3
webber87

Can it be bypassed and ridden? I haven't had problems with it idling once its started just when riding.
Old 08-07-10, 08:59 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

check the sidestand swich, a weak spring can cause cutouts
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 09:41 AM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Obviously you've already checked over the choke cables and plungers for sticking..........

Also check the usual curvey wiring chafing points.... behind both the rider seat bolts (which are slightly too long and hit the harness), under the pillion seat inside the cubby towards the rear on the left side where the wiring wraps round the frame bracket, and generally round the headstock where teh wiring flexes.
Old 11-07-10, 10:49 PM   #6
razali

Hey to say it..... I had similar issues..... turned out to be my META 357 alarm/immobiliser- It's being fully removed tomorrow so I can take some miles in peace, A common issue apparently
Old 12-07-10, 08:12 AM   #7
webber87

Thanks everyone for the posts.....I had already bypassed the side stand switch, had the cables/plungers/carbs etc. checked last time it was in the garage, and checked for the wiring chafing points after it was mentioned but it didn't cure it unfortunately. I removed the immobiliser over the weekend and it fired up on the button no problems (which it sometimes had a problem doing!). Ill be testing it tomorrow- fingers crossed its cured the problem!

Ill keep you posted, thanks again for the suggestions so far.
Old 14-07-10, 09:32 PM   #8
webber87

Just an update for future reference....after removing the immobiliser i've ridden the bike on four occasions for about an hour each time and the bike is running really smoothly again, with no signs of the recurring problem (touch wood!)

she is well again!

Cheers for the posts.