SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-08, 04:17 PM   #1
John 675

Question Slipper clutches and lighter discs

hi chaps,
as for many its time to add the mods before the season starts,
ive just been given another promotion at work so im looking for a nice tasty mod for my SV, my choices being
  • slipper clutch
  • ohlins rear shock
  • Gixxer front end mod
I dont really know what a slipper clutch does, other than allow you to change down quicker without locking the rear, is it worth it on an SV? (bearing in mind i will be track riding a MASSIVE amount this year.)

secondly im looking at replacing the stock discs on my machine.
one of these.

they are much lighter.. question is with them being loads lighter how willl this effect the front end in terms of turning ect ??

cheers

Lylej

Old 27-01-08, 05:00 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Slipper clutches and lighter discs

I wouldn't worry about the slipper clutch, but definately do the suspenion. If you do the GSXR front end route then that will come with better discs anyhow, and I certainly wouldn't spend money on doing the discs now if you are considering changing the front later.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-08, 07:40 PM   #3
svrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
.....I certainly wouldn't spend money on doing the discs now if you are considering changing the front later.
I second that, i brought stealth wavy discs before my front end swap and really wished i didn't cause they were great

Technically lighter discs will affect the turning in, it should make it quicker as there's less gyroscopic effect on the front wheel
Old 27-01-08, 09:35 PM   #4
flymo
Mega Poster

if you can stretch to a slipper clutch then get one, but I agree, after you've done the suspension.

Slipper clutches actually assist with the handling too due to way that they elliminate most of the back torque from the rear wheel. This torque normally influences the rear suspension quite heavily and also causes the rear wheel to skip therefore reducing grip.

Expensive at around 500 quid but excellent equipment, especially for the track, and especially on a high compression v twin like the SV.

Mike
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-08, 10:25 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

AFAIK gixxer front end will give you a quicker turn in too, I think its slightly lighter though the discs are larger, (rotating mass being far more important for turn in) and the forks are shorter which reduces rake, not sure what the offset is in comparison though as obviously this'll affect trail too.
Old 27-01-08, 11:46 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, all the GSXR swaps will tip the bike forward and reduce both rake and trail (and wheelbase), all of which speeds up the turning at the cost of reducted stability (it's an inevitable side effect, stability stops you tankslapping but it also stops you going round corners!)

An SV front wheel assembly plus tyre is knocking on 10 kilos at a rough estimate, and I doubt you'll save more than a couple of hundred grams with discs alone, that's enough to notice I reckon but it's not huge. I shed about a kilo and a half with the Dymag if memory serves and that's immediately, hugely noticable... Similiar amount when I ditched the LHS brake disc, bit less maybe, can't remember exactly. But changing discs around, or lighter tyres, I can't say have ever jumped out and made a big impact.

I personally wouldn't do the slipper clutch, it's immensely cool and all but I like the engine braking.

At the end of the day, you're getting into silly money, a slipper clutch and new Ohlins or Penske shock will cost almost as much as a whole ratty SV. Don't get me wrong, I'm the last person to say it's a bad idea, but you're well past the point where it really makes a lot of sense on purely cost grounds.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-08, 11:51 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
An SV front wheel assembly plus tyre is knocking on 10 kilos at a rough estimate, and I doubt you'll save more than a couple of hundred grams with discs alone, that's enough to notice I reckon but it's not huge.
IMO for the cost of them you're wasting your time and money for whats still not a brilliant front end.
Old 27-01-08, 11:53 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Not that you can't make SV forks work well, but I reckon it's cheaper just to sell 'em.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-08, 11:55 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I reckon I'll break very close to even on my SRAD600 front end when I sell the SV parts.

Beat that with yer fancy discs
Old 28-01-08, 12:57 AM   #10
phil24_7
Mega Poster

If I sold all my front end parts I'd make a cool profit but I shall keep them for spares for when the inevitable happens!

The bike seems much better to ride since the swap, not really noticed any difference in stability but it drops in to turns MUCH quicker and the front end seems loads lighter. With the new front end it also seems to tell me more of what's happening with the front tyre so my confidence in going round corners has soared!

In summary, do the Gixer front end swap and get a Gixer shock to!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote