SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-04-13, 06:49 PM   #11
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anybody know about setting up Probate?

thanks for the advice, I understand it a bit more now, so I can ask my mum a few questions now and I don't need to see a solicitor neccessarily.

A trip to the probate office might be useful.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 07:58 AM   #12
BigBoy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Don't believe that you necessarily "have" to use any particular person (solicitor etc), you can decide who does what or do it yourself to a large extent.[/URL]
Hey, realise it's been a long time since this last post but was just looking for a little more info on who can be executors. Is there anyone who can't be an executor? I read this probate guide but it doesn't say anywhere.

Any ideas?
Old 28-12-18, 11:36 AM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

holy thread resurrection...

it took 2 years to sort out my mums estate and my bill was only around £3.5k but most of that was the percentage fee of the whole funds. if there are no funds raised then they cant charge you a percentage of it. the biggest bill was the fekin estate agents fees.

i think your seeing the "total" theoretical rather than the actual total. yes solicitors charge a whopping fee but they only charge the "time spent". by rights an executor can charge a fee for their services. i would have put your bill around £1k if that unless your father had a lot of money in bank accounts, shares etc.etc which will al be sitting in the solicitors "temp" bank account. another thing to consider is who paid for the funeral etc.etc
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 12:04 PM   #14
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I'm going through this now since my Dad passed in August. The solicitors were named as executors because I was out of the country when the Will was written. The solicitors can voluntarily surrender their role as executor to a relative.

I decided to let the solicitors handle it which, with hindsight, was not the best plan, but you're not thinking at your best when a parent dies. They are going to be charging me somewhere between £5k and £8k plus the cost of house deeds transfer which is another £800 ish (I think).

As far as I can tell probate is mainly contacting the asset holders and explaining you're the executor, calculate the estate's value for inheritance tax (if applicable), advertise the death to check for creditors to the estate. I don't know long it should take but my solicitors have been working at this for 4 months so far. You can apply for probate yourself with a PA1P form if there's a Will. (from gov.uk)
Yes, never a good idea to have a solicitor be an executor, but that's easy to say in hindsight, I did my mum's, and it was straightforward as it was only cash, no property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy12 View Post
Hey, realise it's been a long time since this last post but was just looking for a little more info on who can be executors. Is there anyone who can't be an executor? I read this probate guide but it doesn't say anywhere.

Any ideas?
As far as I know, anyone can be an executor, but it'd have to be someone who's trusted. My mum for some reason didn't want my sister as executor, I never knew why.

So it was me, with my brother as back up, just in case something happened to me, but not joint executors, that'd have complicated everything as we'd have had to go to every meeting together.
Old 28-12-18, 04:43 PM   #15
BigBoy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
As far as I know, anyone can be an executor, but it'd have to be someone who's trusted. My mum for some reason didn't want my sister as executor, I never knew why.

So it was me, with my brother as back up, just in case something happened to me, but not joint executors, that'd have complicated everything as we'd have had to go to every meeting together.
That's really helpful, thanks mav!
Old 28-12-18, 05:13 PM   #16
maviczap
Mega Poster

No problem, it might seem like a load of gobbledegook but so long as there's no property or overseas stuff, I think it's reasonably straight forward. All the solicitors I dealt with were fine and didn't try and hassle me into letting them do the probate.

Helped that my brother in law had done it, although I did it without any of his input
Old 31-12-18, 02:12 PM   #17
timwilky
Mega Poster

A few years since this thread first appeared.

Lessons learned over the years. MAKE A WILL.

Tell your executors you have named them in your will. And where to find the will. helpful to also draw up a list of your accounts/assets. Numbers, addresses etc. Not just banks, but pensions, insurance, properties, any significant loans that may be due to the estate etc.

For me the difficult part was my BIL owned 3 houses that nobody knew about. And step mother who had given her nephew a 15 grand loan.

Last edited by timwilky; 31-12-18 at 02:14 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 08:35 PM   #18
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Definitely. Thankfully my dad's affairs weren't too complex. I'm now clearing out his filing cabinet though, I know I don't need Spanish phone bills from 2009 but am wondering just how much back info I should keep for pensions etc.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote