SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-12-18, 05:14 PM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Hi.
I seemed to have put my rebuild in the wrong part of the forum. If you would like to see how this started, the thread is here https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231180

So, with Christmas upon us, progress has been slow. New tyres were fitted & not a lot else has happened. I've ordered some new parts & even found a couple of impossible to find bits in Indonesia of all places .
The 1st impossible piece is the handlebar cover. This is a small piece of plastic with "Suzuki" embossed on it. Sat on Ebay at stupid o'clock in the morning & came across this part after hours of trawling.

The Suzuki part isn't painted on the X5, so I took some very fine wire wool & sanded it all off. I then had to make a bracket out of some aluminium plate I have in the shed & fitted it. I'm really pleased as it looks OE.

I also noticed that when the tyres were fitted, the shocks looked wrong. I was correct, when I measured them, they were 280mm centre to centre, X5 shocks are 300mm. I found a compnay called TEC, their shocks look just like standard & were a great price too. They arrived within a couple of days & were really easy to fit. They have made one heck of a difference.

I've also found a brand new old stock chain cover from the same place in Indonesia & a brand new tail piece cover from a seller in the UK, but waiting for these to arrive.

Today I had some indicators & the front mudguard arrive, so, after work set to in the shed to fit them. The indicators were nice & easy to fit, but the pattern mudguard was a different story. I've had to drill the mounting holes, so used the original as a template. When I drilled the holes & mounted it. Unfortunately, it's sitting a little high, so, tomorrow after work, I'll do some jigging & filing to get it sitting right.

Hopefully I should have a few more parts turning up over the next few days.

Last edited by mister c; 27-12-18 at 05:26 PM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 06:01 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

This is really coming together nicely now Col. It looks so close to being there.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 08:33 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

It's looking great! I have a memory that the plastic handlebar trim on my old X5 had the lettering picked out in silver, but that may not be correct.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 08:34 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

A labour of love there Col, especially sourcing those difficult parts
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-18, 09:38 PM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Col - you're quite the magician my friend. Wish I had the patience to do something like this.
Old 28-12-18, 05:07 AM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
This is really coming together nicely now Col. It looks so close to being there.
Still a fair way to go yet Gary. I'm thinking of removing the engine again as the middle crank bearing is a little noisy, I can't make my mind up as I won't be riding it that often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
It's looking great! I have a memory that the plastic handlebar trim on my old X5 had the lettering picked out in silver, but that may not be correct.
I'll be honest I can't remember on my original one, but all of the pictures I've seen, they are black

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
A labour of love there Col, especially sourcing those difficult parts
I think that sourcing parts is one of the fun parts of the build, it takes a while, but you feel quite accomplished when you find them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Col - you're quite the magician my friend. Wish I had the patience to do something like this.
It takes my mind away from reality Trev, plus, I should have a nice bike when it's all done
Old 28-12-18, 11:43 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

looking superb
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 05:08 PM   #8
mister c
Mega Poster

Came home from work today & found that another couple of items had dropped through the letterbox. The correct kickstart & a pair of fork reflectors, so, after going food shopping with the missus, I headed off into my leaky shed to play.

The kickstart was plug & play, so a quick tap with a mallet & tighten a screw, it's on

Next on the agenda was lowering the front mudguard. It didn't take me too long to re drill 4 holes a little further down the ribs & check to see what it looked like. In my opinion, a lot better. It could go lower still, but I think it looks right now. I took the grinder to the excess webbing & ground it to tidy it up.

The last part today were the fork reflectors. I ordered 2 from China for £2.20 delivered. When I opened the packaging, there were 2 PAIRS in the bag. So I had 4 reflectors for £2.20 delivered from China, how on earth is that possible?
I did have a slight problem as the screws on the reflectors were 6mm & the holes in the yoke are 5mm. I took a reflector apart to see how they were made & it had a screw bonded into the plastic. I used my grinder to get rid of the excess plastic, removed the screw & replaced it with a 5mm one. I screwed it into the yoke & replaced the reflector top. It's as good as new
Old 28-12-18, 07:10 PM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I assume the hole in the mudguard is for a speedo cable guide/fixing?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-18, 08:25 AM   #10
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I assume the hole in the mudguard is for a speedo cable guide/fixing?
It is mate, yes