SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-01-12, 05:21 PM   #1
keith_d
Mega Poster

Default Scottish independence?

With the scottish parliament considering a referendum on independence, should England get a similar vote?

Something like:

[ ] Make every effort to keep Scotland in the United Kingdom
[ ] Allow Scotland to leave if their referendum votes for it
[ ] Make Scotland independent whether they want it or not

Any thoughts?
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-12, 05:32 PM   #2
Springbokki

Default Re: Scottish independence?

I simply believe splitting the UK would be detrimental to both parties, socially, economically and creating a more unsure future.
Old 15-01-12, 06:10 PM   #3
Ed

I think it would be a sad day if Scotland were to leave the Union, but the choice is entirely for the people of Scotland.
Old 15-01-12, 06:33 PM   #4
Lozzo

Whatever happens, the scots will always have a bit of English they'll never be able to lose - every time one of the whisky sodden gumpits opens his mouth it's our language - albeit hugely *******ised - that they speak,
Old 15-01-12, 06:34 PM   #5
Fallout
Mega Poster

The thing about this particular referendum is that only about 0.1% of the population actually understand all the economical and political issues enough to make a truly fully informed decision. The only point is to give the people the power they demand, but they can't wield it properly, because the average joe just can't understand all the ramifications. How can they when a bunch of politicians are telling them X while another bunch are telling them the conflicting Y.

I don't think the Scots should have a referendum and I don't think we should either, to be honest.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-12, 06:36 PM   #6
MisterTommyH

Don't think they should vote for independence.

If they do it should be total (including financial independence) not just Scotland choosing what it does and still sharing finances with the rest of the UK (in either direction).

If in 5 years it doesn't work out the rest of the UK should get a vote on whether to let Scotland back in or not.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-12, 06:43 PM   #7
EssexDave

I'm sure they like the idea in a perfect world but the Scottish economy, in my opinion, does not have the ability to keep them at the same level they currently are financially.

So, I don't think it is a good idea or not. Whether it happens or not, who knows.

Where are the scottish lot?
Old 15-01-12, 06:51 PM   #8
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

We're making a bid for independence already by not talking to you. To be honest I for one don't want to go it alone, I like my job and that will go if we run away, I happen to pay the 3 Services their wages (maternity mostly) and I can't see an independant scotland needing me. I also worry where Alex and his friends want to take us and using who's money... but that said;

YOU'll NEVER TAKE OOR FREEEEEDOM!!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-12, 07:09 PM   #9
SV Mad

Problem is, if they have independence and it all goes belly up, do Westminster let them back in. They must have all or nothing and not the ability to pick and chose. Problem is with the average Scottish wage, there is a likelihood that the country may not be able to sustain it's own economy, and if independence is achieved do they start with a clean sheet, or are they forced to accept some of the overall UK debt.

Re-build the wall and let em have their freedom? Maybe but it probably won't help.
Old 15-01-12, 07:25 PM   #10
The Idle Biker

I would be really interested to see the Scottish people vote objectively on what they really think will be good for Scotland. Can't see it though, there's just so much ridiculous anti English jingoism based on historic arguments and abuses.

At this current time in history I just cannot possibly see any benefit to Scotland being entirely independent.
The world economy is fractious enough at the moment, why go it alone, it's madness?

It's just a complete and utter load of pumped up nationalistic nonsense. Everyone in the UK will end up losing out in the long run. IMO of course.