SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-05, 10:45 PM   #1
hall13uk

Default carbon cans why cant i have one?not that i can afford one:(

i went into hein gericke(some time ago) in welling kent & asked about an aftermarket can i like the look of the carbon fibre one's but they said that if you put a carbon fibre one on a v twin the carbon will unravel/carbon fall off what do they mean i know a lot of people on the forum have carbon end cans so whats the deal
in any case i wont be buying one cos i cant afford one, just wondering what the deal was.
Old 08-05-05, 11:06 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

The deal is, they know nothing Carbons fine for v-twins. It's slightly more vibe sensetive than metal but not so much that you'd worry. The main downers of carbon are that if you let the packing get to thin it can scorch, and if it gets marked you can't fix it- no polishing out scratches. Other pastimes that lead to fuel in the can- flamethrowing, and dyno runs apparently- can also be pretty bad.

Also, they look like ****
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-05, 11:08 PM   #3
hall13uk

well thats cleared that up thanks north
Old 08-05-05, 11:49 PM   #4
Muttley

I've heard that same comment when in the Welling HG, I always thought it sounded like a lot of tosh.
Old 08-05-05, 11:55 PM   #5
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
I've heard that same comment when in the Welling HG, I always thought it sounded like a lot of tosh.
yeah it sounded wrong to be thus the post
Old 08-05-05, 11:59 PM   #6
hall13uk

hey muttley you are in eltham same as me so what bike you got sv i am guessing but not alwasy the case on this site. where do you go for good rides sevenoaks/riverhead myself sorry for all questions, i live near the well hall roundabout myself seem there are more & more sver's in the south east areas these days.
Old 09-05-05, 07:15 AM   #7
Jelster

Default Re: carbon cans why cant i have one?not that i can afford on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
i went into hein gericke(some time ago) in welling kent & asked about an aftermarket can i like the look of the carbon fibre one's but they said that if you put a carbon fibre one on a v twin the carbon will unravel/carbon fall off
What utter bollox.... My SV had 2 different carbon cans, a Remus and an Akrapovic (one of which is still going strong on another SV on this forum) and my Falco had a pair of them... Complete and utter waffle. Ask him to explain why Tergonomi fit carbon racing systems to Ducatis and see what his answer is..

Old 09-05-05, 07:19 AM   #8
Bikerz

well carbon cans will not give u as gd perfermance as a stainless one tho esspecialy on the 1000. But i dout u buying it for the performance, that why dealers dont recomend them (and they dont want u taking them back cos uv killed it )

My sv400s is running a full system with 2 real carbon fibre cans (the cans cost £400 a piece)
Old 09-05-05, 07:22 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

You cant run a single carbon can on a litre twin, like a milie. It does split after a while. The SV produces small enough pulses for it not to be a problem.

What you doing buying a can from HG anyway. Not the cheapest option i would have thought!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 08:08 AM   #10
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
What you doing buying a can from HG anyway. Not the cheapest option i would have thought!
like i said cant afford it anyway even if it was 50 quid. but as they had a few on show all shiney like i got a little mismerised.