SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-07-05, 07:59 PM   #1
bobbydee

Default HOW DO YOU BLEED THESE BLOODY BRAKES

Replaced the pads and the hoses, also got one of those sucking bleeding kits. but still no good. doesnt even come close to being soft. Please help ive got work in the morning.
Old 15-07-05, 08:38 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

OK this is what I did, please note I am not the most mechanical of people.

Note this isnt B.A.S.A.T approved, but this worked for me.

I bought a dual circuit bleed kit from halfords so I had two lengths of tubing with one way ball valve at each end.

1. Attached both bits of pipe to bleed nipples. put other end of pipe into a nice big glass jar

2. Undid bleed nipples half a turn or so

3. Took cap of resevoir

4. Very gently squeezed front brake lever, and pumped fluid and air through tubes. Dont go bananas squeezing the front brake lever, do it slow and gently

5. Keep an eye on the reservoir make sure it doesnt empty otherwise you'll pump more air into the system.

6. Keep squeezing lever and topping up fluid in resevoir until you cant see anymore air coming out from the bleed nippples into the pipes.

7. Once you have done this nip up the nipples so that they are locked off remove the pipes and put the rubber seals back on.

8. check fluid level again and top up if necessary and pop the resevoir lid back on.

9. Stand bike upright and check the fluid level again with the bike upright make sure its between the low / high marks on the side of the resevoir.

10. Get a zip tie and zip tie the front brake lever to the bars, the pressure in the system will get rid of any remaing air.

Leave overnight. Remove Zip tie in the morning and all should be well

HTH

Again please note I am no mechanic, but after reading some posts on here before I followed the above and it worked OK, my lever isnt as good as a new bike, but its much better than it was before.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-05, 09:54 PM   #3
streetos

The problem I found with those Easybleeds was that the air can get back into the system via the nipple thread. A bit of PTFE tape around the nipple thread will stop this. (Need to do this before you put any fluid in if you want to avoid a mess!) If you have a 20 mill syringe putting the fluid in through the nipple works well, easyer to get the air bubbles to go up to the reservoir rather than down to the caliper.
Old 16-07-05, 12:17 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I wouldn't bother with the Easy Bleed thingys, I don't find them useful, they're really only intended for when you can't reach both the lever and the bleed valves at the same time, such as when doing this job on a car without a second pair of hands, (feet?).

Just a length of tube is all you need, open the nipple and pull the lever, shut the nipple and only then release the lever, when bubbles have stopped coming out of the nipple, tap the caliper with the handle of a screwdriver or similar, this often helps by dislodging any air pockets stuck in the caliper.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-05, 09:22 AM   #5
huge

Mate

the first time I bled my own brakes I was having the same trouble as you.

A couple of hints

Make sure you are closing the bleed nut before you let go of the brake (hope I'm not preaching to the converted!)

and

I had an air lock in the balancing pipe (above front mud guard) and it would not bleed until I leant the bike on its side. Once this was done then abracadabra the job was done in minutes

good luck