SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-08, 08:06 PM   #1
JediGoat

Default Battery Terminal Bolts

Well, I finally managed to remove my battery (I now realise that the Bionic Man had tightened up the terminal bolts), but.....me being me....I lost one of the bolts.

/dumb question time/ (I have no shame)
Sooooo.....can I pick these up from any repair centre...and if so...er.....what 'size' are they? And do they have to be any particular type of bolt...or can I go to Homebase and find something similar?
/dumb question time/

On a more hopeful note, my volts had dropped to 11...so I'm hoping the battery was the cause of the non-starting.

Oh....and is there anyway of shutting up the bloody Datatool alarm service mode bleep? My neighbours are gonna love me if it takes all night to recharge the battery

Jo
P.s. Try not to laugh....this was the first bit of vaguely mechanical work I have ever done on my bike....just hope I don't make a habit of it
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 08:53 PM   #2
sv650k4

Default Re: Battery Terminal Bolts

any thing that fits will do just make sure its not 2 long and you screw it threw the battery!

any tytpe of bolt will do as long as it fits the threads ok and isnt 2 long etc...

Old 11-05-08, 08:57 PM   #3
JediGoat

Ahh...fankyooverymuch

I was just making sure it didn;t have to be anything in particular, i.e. kryptonite or Suzuki Cream Cheese, or anything like that.

So...a trip to the local car parts place for me tomorrow to ask for a screw
Old 11-05-08, 10:06 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

It'll be an M6 thread and 10mm long (that's the thread length). You might find 12mm is the nearest length readily available, in which case add a washer to make sure it doesn't hit the battery case as per previous post.

The best battery bolts are in brass but to be honest you can use any metal (bright zinc plated steel typically) with a sealed battery, the main issue would be corrosion but some vaseline is an ideal protection.
Old 11-05-08, 10:38 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Any old bolt will go in there .. have you got any old bolts from anything else?

If you take the other one out you can use it as a template for length/thread if you need to get one from a shop!!

To be honest, if you went down your local dump, there is prolly a bike battery in the battery disposal bit ... you could just pinch a bolt off that ... they all seem to be the same, so you can't go too far wrong as long as it is a bike battery!
Old 12-05-08, 11:04 AM   #6
thedonal

There's not much you can do about the datatool- though it does go into sleep mode at very low power. I've had to do that a few times recently, until I got my new reg/rec.

If you put something made of thick cloth on top of the alarm, then put your rear seat back on, it should muffle it a little.
Old 12-05-08, 12:03 PM   #7
JediGoat

Well, the nice guys at Slocombes in Willesden gave me a new set of bolts

And the alarm emitted it's irritating beep every 15 seconds right through the night.....but fortunately it could barely be heard as it was masked by the usual rowdiness of my street