SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-24, 06:04 PM   #1
Kenzie

Default B29 Overexposed Bleaklow, Peak District

Hi all, the wife and I are staying in the Peak District soon at Edale and I noticed the B29 crash site walk is not too far away at Bleaklow. Has anyone here done the walk and could offer any tips?

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-24, 09:29 PM   #2
redtrummy

Default Re: B29 Overexposed Bleaklow, Peak District

For what it is worth, many years ago I walked onto Bleaklow - I would well imagine that the path has now been slabbed - a lot of the paths in the area have been. The area, once you leave Edale is very exposed so good stout footwear and good waterproofs are a must. Got caught out a couple of times loosing our way and the dark descended, so a decent touch may well be a good idea (we once had to rely on a mates lit cigar to provide light to read the map). I seem to recall following a gully to get onto the moor and it rained and rained hard, if wet the cloughs can become very sticky. Nowadays of course you have the benefit of mobile phone apps so navigation is a lot more reliable than our haphazard map reading efforts. In places the moors appear featureless so take care leaving designated paths, I would carry a 1 in 25000 map as well. Unless you are super fit you will have to drive on to the A57 Snake Road and park there (speaks for itself) -the A57 is considered by some as the most dangerous road in Britain, (often closed in bad weather and a dream on a nice day on a bike .) Spent several hours in the Nags head watching it rain in Edale!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-24, 10:57 PM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: B29 Overexposed Bleaklow, Peak District

Presume you've seen this
https://aircrashsites.co.uk/superfor...ver-exposed-2/
if you're any time in the area then drop me a line if you want. Bleaklow is in the middle of nowhere but over eastwards are the more familiar parts of the Peak district with plenty of cafes for cake!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote