SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-07-06, 01:09 PM   #1
KayBee

Default SV650S K3 tuning, what's the best?

Hiya,

I'm looking to do the exhaust and filter tune up, power commander as well I guess.

Whats the best?

Am I going down the right route?

What power output can I expect?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated - particularly any experiences you've had.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 15-07-06, 03:12 PM   #2
muffles

tunings usually expensive, on anything (car or bike). the best gains per £ are often had from a new machine!
Old 15-07-06, 04:33 PM   #3
XJR Jason

You mean like having more cyclinders? (still keeping the same size engine)
Old 15-07-06, 07:33 PM   #4
andyaikido

I've got an arata full system and K&N filter on mine and got a 6 bhp increase although B&C filters are reported to give a bit more. I would dyno it before deciding if you need a PC. Mine was so rich as standard the mods ended up giving the correct fuel mixture. I guess the power curve could be improve on further with a PC but i don't it would be £300 better. Northy is the man in the know on tuning an SV, he'll probably be on soon.
Old 15-07-06, 11:10 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

Decide what it is you want, write down on a piece of paper everything you want the bike to do when it's finished and then work out your best course of action. If you love the bike but just want it noisier or with a crisper throttle response you may find an end can, filter and re-map makes you happy, if you want 90BHP then tuning the SV 650 lump is not a sensible way to go.

There's a danger of throwing money at something just to say "I've done £700 worth of work to the engine" and then feel slightly underwhelmed by the difference it's made.
Old 16-07-06, 01:05 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Personally I'd say with the SV, particularily the injected one, either go the whole hog or leave it standard. Induction is ridiculously expensive when you're chasing power, a full system, filter, and possibly setup for usually 4-7bhp? Not a good return on your money.

Are you mechanically competent? You can get yourself 2-4bhp and a wider peak with a set of carbed model intake cams fitted into the exhaust side (which, plug time, I still have a set of in the garage ) for, wel, call it £50, plus you'd be advised to get new cam chain tensioner gaskets too for about another tenner. But I wouldn't advise you try it yourself if you're not reasonably experienced.

But still, better to leave it alone. The SV's a good package out of the box. If you want to go a bit faster, software upgrades (training) and handling upgrades are better than power IMO.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-06, 01:43 AM   #7
21QUEST
Mega Poster

One word 'suspension'

What ever you are thinking of spending on power mods spend it on the suspension or save your money.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-06, 08:13 AM   #8
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR Jason
You mean like having more cyclinders? (still keeping the same size engine)
was that to me? in which case, i just mean if you want something that goes faster, go buy it, instead of changing what you've already got. number of cylinders/engine size doesnt really come into it, unless that's specifically what you're after!