SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-03-06, 09:00 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Track How to’s (Snetterton)

I actually wrote a series of these a few years ago when I started racing, mostly as an aid memoir; I race supersport so it’s written from that perspective, but what I said would be largely bike independent.

If you have never been to the tracks or just indulge in trackdays, or if you just fancy a read of a track from a riders eye; then you might find it useful?? I appreciate there is more than one way to string a cat, but this is my perspective.

First up Snetterton, I have done ones for Oulton (before they put the new chicane in) Mallory (again before new chicane) Cadwell (funnily enough before new chicane ), I could amend them with the new chicanes, as I have raced at all these many times since the alterations, but … well lets see how they go down as-is first also done Brands Indy and Rockingham.

If I get positive responses from this, then I will post the whole series or whichever are requested.

Anyway, what the hell I have written them so only a cut and paste, enjoy!!

Snett

Going down the start/finish straight chin on the tank, this is a pretty long straight so deceptively fast with the pitwall on your right, drift to the left hand side of the track for Riches.

Right after the II marker board, brake hard. There are a few bumps here so the bike may come a little unsettled, but nothing to worry about. The corner is pretty wide and can be entered unbelievably fast. Turn in just past the I marker board, clip the right hand kerb just as the tarmac patch on the inside kerb runs out. There are quite a few undulations round this corner and if you drift wide these are minimised and you can carry more speed, come back in for the second apex then get hard on the gas and let the bike drift out to the kerb. Full chat to the next right-hander, Sears.

This is a Slow in - fast out corner. Sears tends to be a bit slippy (especially in the wet), this corner is all about setting yourself up for the backstraight, a good drive out is crucial. Hard on the brakes and turn in, the apex is about 70% round the inside kerb. There is plenty of run off at this point and you can actually cross the line and go on the tarmac the other side, but this tends to be slower than taking a tighter line, so only use if you have messed up a bit at Sears. Power up, watching for the highside and head down Rivett straight. This is an important corner to be in the correct gear such that you can get the power down for the Rivett Straight.

This is the longest straight in the UK so expect big numbers on the speedo, at this speed aerodynamics are crucial, tuck right in, this is quite scary as you are looking through the screen and 80% of you view obscured by the brow of you lid where you have your chin on the tank, keep your eye out for slow coaches or people missing gears. Depending on bike this straight is good for about 170 (600), you should be just hitting the limiter in top if the gearing is correct. Make your way to the right hand side of the track and watch for the marker board, braking here is crucial … there is a little mud track on the right just which is between the II and I markers (about 1.5), Brake really hard!!! start downshifting then turn in for The Esses.

The back will be light so expect the bike to squerm a bit here, but again nothing to worry about as long as you keep it planted for when you turn in, you will probably still be on 80% braking at this point. Start turning in just after the bridge and carry the brakes all the way into the left hander. Keep left and a quick burst of power, then hit the brakes again and flop the bike over hard for the right hander (hitting the front brake actually helps turn the bike here). Back on the power before you reach the right hand kerb and clip the apex. Get back on full power but watch for the highside/slide, drift left for the next corner, The Bomb Hole.

Roll off the throttle and turn in roughly where the surface changes in colour, then steady the bike on the power, many people go through the ‘bomb hole’ and apex there, I find if you go slightly wider (so you knee is just left of the hole) you can carry more speed as the suspension isn’t loading up so much, get back on the gas for Coram Curve.

This turn is difficult to get right, no not because it is particularly complex, but because it is so long and wide, it is a real balancing act. There doesn’t seem to be ‘A line’ through here but things can get a bit bumpy and slippy if you drift to far off the beaten track, about 1/3 of the track is all you need to use and you can keep a constant radius (ish). When about 2/3 of the way round you can really start winding on the gas. The kerb ends and you will drift out to the left on your approach to Russell Bend.

I prefer a tighter and slower entry here as it is more defensive and you are not asking so much of the left hand side of the tyre on the ‘flop’ of the ‘flip flop’ (the left hander here is notorious for offs as the left side of the tyre doesn’t get much heat in it at this track). Turn in just after the surface changes colour, it is a bit bumpy here and if you get it wrong the bike will refuse to settle … the turf here is quite friendly though! So if the bike refuses to slow sufficiently you can go straight on … On the right hand apex, just clip the far end of the painted kerb, bang the bike over to the left and clip the middle of the painted kerb on the left. Power up as you clip the left hand kerb, but be smooth, I then tend to get off the left of the bike here standing the bike up to get a better contact patch (and the warmer bit) of the rear, there is a tendency to drift on the kerb here, but this method helps you have some room for error (i.e. you can pull the bike back on you if you start drifting wide). Head back off down the Start / Finish straight.
Old 29-03-06, 09:51 PM   #2
virtualb

Cool! that's great. Got my first novice track day in May at Snet so that's really useful, thanks!
Old 29-03-06, 10:37 PM   #3
Robw#70

Default Re: Track How too’s (Snetterton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S

Right after the II marker board, brake hard. Unless on an SV thens its roll off and back on in fifth, come back in for the second apex then get hard on the gas and let the bike drift out to the kerb.
Down two for sears

there is a little mud track on the right just which is between the II and I markers (about 1.5), Brake really hard!!! You can push it up to the 100yd board on an Svstart downshifting Two then turn in for The Esses.

Keep left and a quick burst of power, then hit the brakes again and flop the bike over hard for the right hander (hitting the front brake actually helps turn the bike here). Down one on an SVBack on the power before you reach the right hand kerb and clip the apex. Get back on full power but watch for the highside/slide, drift left for the next corner, Up one or shortshift twoThe Bomb Hole.

Roll off the throttleFlat out if your brave and turn in roughly where the surface changes in colour, then steady the bike on the power, many people go through the ‘bomb hole’ and apex there,
This turn is difficult to get right, no not because it is particularly complex, but because it is so long and wide, it is a real balancing act. There doesn’t seem to be ‘A line’ through here but things can get a bit bumpy and slippy if you drift to far off the beaten track, about 1/3 of the track is all you need to use and you can keep a constant radius (ish). When about 2/3 of the way round you can really start winding on the gas.SV You can accelerate all the way from the Bomb-hole shifting up one or two depending on Bomb-hole entrance, seemed bumpier this year (like Richies)The kerb ends and you will drift out to the left on your approach to Russell Bend.

Head back off down the Start / Finish straight.If your on your own you can run tight up the wall, which keeps you out of the wind, in traffic you can get a tow
Added a few bits that are probably not a good idea to try straight away but are possible with a bit of track time and relavant on a minitwin spec SV doing 1.17's
Old 29-03-06, 10:48 PM   #4
Joe110

Could you do Pembrey please.
Old 29-03-06, 11:50 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Track How too’s (Snetterton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70
Added a few bits that are probably not a good idea to try straight away but are possible with a bit of track time and relavant on a minitwin spec SV doing 1.17's
Cool, I intend to do a trackday at Brands Indy on my SV sometime soon, so if I post my ’How-To’ for Brands at some point, I’d appreciate some SV specific amendments like you have done for Snett
Old 29-03-06, 11:51 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe110
Could you do Pembrey please.
Lol, I haven’t written a ‘How to’ for Pembrey as that wasn’t on the club ‘circuit’ back when I wrote them.

I have raced at Pembrey since, but only a couple of times, so don’t know it as intimately as say Brands and Snett, but will try and get round to writing one at some point if you like Are you going to trackday or race there?
Old 30-03-06, 07:14 AM   #7
steveg

Default re

nice one

Could you post a Mallory Park guide please , have ridden it a couple of times however would really like to know the quicker lines.

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-06, 08:58 AM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: re

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg
nice one

Could you post a Mallory Park guide please , have ridden it a couple of times however would really like to know the quicker lines.

Cheers Steve
your wish is my command

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=512193#512193
Old 30-03-06, 11:32 AM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Asking a bit much perhaps, but I'm looking to go to Cadwell and Rockingham (International) this year.... you know if I had a wallet I'd buy you a pint
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-06, 12:27 PM   #10
Flamin_Squirrel

Yes, rockingham!