SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-08, 06:39 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Bleedin' Brakes!

Oh how I hate these most hated of things that I now hate so much, I just can't express enough hate towards them. I hate them now even more then my hate of mushy peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and swede.

They are evil and must be burned.

Why all this hate, cus I have stripped down, cleaned, renewed the seals and then rebuild the brakes on my 'build' SV. Yet every time I try to bleed them it just fails... the only thing left is to strip out the master cylinder seals, but they where working before I did this, just the dust seals where toast.
Old 07-06-08, 07:32 PM   #2
zunkus

Default Re: Bleedin' Brakes!

Don't worry mate. You're not alone. I've just went through this ordeal and it's a real pain. Some advice I can give you is to bleed the master cylinder alone first by pumping the lever a few times then opening momentarily the banjo bolt at the master cylinder end whilst squeezing slowly inwards. Don't release before closing banjo. Put plenty of rags so you don't spill over the nice paintwork. Next do the same at the other end of the lines doing the left side (gear lever side) first, then the right. Then bleed as per normal releasing the fluid from the bleed nipples using a piece of rubber pipe with it's other end submerged into a jar with some hydrolic fluid. Tap the calipers gently with a plastic mallet from time to time whilst bleeding to release the air bubbles.

Before doing this procedure I bled for more than an hour without any feel from the lever, so I can feel your pain friend.
Old 07-06-08, 07:36 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

YC has just taught me how to service my brake calipers and bleed the brakes.........we did it very quickly indeed......but it ain't half a faff
Not sure if I'd like to do them again

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 07:42 PM   #4
zunkus

Oh I forgot to tell you, press the caliper pistons fully in before installing. It's very tricky to fill the empty calipers with hydrolic without letting air in but this helps. Some guys even resorted to pump hydrolic through the bleed hole into the calipers first using an oil can in an attempt to reduce air bubbles. I tried but only managed to spill hydrolic all over, franticly washing everything with soapy water afterwards in fear of the etching hydrolic. Again, be careful, use plenty of rags.
Old 07-06-08, 07:46 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

I cheated when I had braided hoses to fit, I got a garage to do them

At the end of the day my free time and biking time is limited, so the extra xx £ was worth it More time on the road for me.
Old 07-06-08, 07:52 PM   #6
svrich

I just had a nightmare when I changed my read pads. The good old pins wre rusted into the caliper so I had to pay to get them out (limited time and facilities). The new pins, pads etc went in fine but spent a hour trying to bleed them. Turns out that the top end of the system had drained while the caliper was off. I wedged the lever down with a brick (technical!) over nignt and bled the system the following day and all is now fine.
Good luck. Fingers are crossed for you.
Old 07-06-08, 08:09 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

It took aprox a half hour to bleed my brakes........and that included help off a six year old

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:27 PM   #8
K

I could suggest you hit them with a hammer...

... but I kinda get the feelign you perhaps already have!
Old 07-06-08, 09:11 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
I could suggest you hit them with a hammer...

... but I kinda get the feelign you perhaps already have!

Why do I have this mental image of you choosing from a sized array of hammers according to the job at hand

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 09:47 PM   #10
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Why do I have this mental image of you choosing from a sized array of hammers according to the job at hand

Cheers Mark.
Mmmmmmmm, now I have the mental image of my garage wall displying everything from a Sledge to a dainty little Jewelers hammer.