SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 14-02-05, 10:01 AM   #1
steveo

Default Tyre choice and advice please

Rode to work this morning and the bike felt softer at the rear and a bit slippy round the corners. Got to work and there appears to be something stuck in the tyre. I'm still on the standard dunlops so i reckon i may as well go for a change of boots.

Does anyone know anywhere in the south london/clapham area that is good for tyres? I think infinity in clapham high street probably do them but i wasn't convinced by them when i was initially looking for a bike last september.

Secondly what should i get? There seems to be a few recommended tyres on here, Pirelli Diablos, Metzler Roadtec, Metzler Sportec and varying Bridgestone combos. I ride to work everyday (rain, hail or shine) which is a very dull 6 mile traffic clogged slog but want to get out during weekends over the summer.
The diablos seem to be highly rated but from the reviews have a very round profile. Is this something that suits more advanced riders who are happier leaning the bike right over? Also considering i've only been riding since september is it worth me getting something as soft as the diablos if i won't be able to get the maximum benefit out of them?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
Old 14-02-05, 11:42 AM   #2
Iansv

Top choices atm seem to be Bridgestone 020, The Metzler? Z6 and the Continental Roadattacks
Old 14-02-05, 11:55 AM   #3
Carsick

Ian is right, those seem to be the most popular.
I've tried the BT and the Conti now, next set will be the Metz.
The ones I have tried are fantastic tyres, good grip all year round and very confidence inspiring.
Old 15-02-05, 10:32 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyre choice and advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
The diablos seem to be highly rated but from the reviews have a very round profile. Is this something that suits more advanced riders who are happier leaning the bike right over
It's generally reckoned to be the other way around, a sharper profile, (more "triangular"), is reckoned to be more suitable for an experienced rider, because of their quicker steering nature.

I can certainly vouch for the Continental Road Attacks, (on an SV1000), they've given excellent life and plenty of grip, better than I would have expected for a tyre which is billed as a "sports touring". I've also had good experience with the Bridgestones and the Avon AV45/46. The 020s have a fairly generous profile, certainly they couldn't be considered quick steering, and are an excellent choice as a standard "benchmark" tyre, this is not to damn them with faint praise, they are excellent, plenty good enough for the great majority of riders. On balance I preferred the Avons, wet grip is good and they feel a little sportier, many people haven't been able to get on with them though, I have heard them described as "loose", but I've interpreted this as better feel.

A tyre which is good value at the moment is the Dunlop D207, certainly they are sportier than the alternatives mentioned above, and are very good in the wet, and at the prices I have seen advertised recently, would definately warrant your consideration.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-05, 11:44 PM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Down in vauxhall there is a small place called True Grip. Hes quite good.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-05, 08:28 AM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Ricardo; wash your mouth out you utter b*****d There is to be no dissent on this subject.

The ONLY place to spend your tyre money is:

Essential Rubber
27 Downham Road
London N1 5AA

020 7241 0055

A Map
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-05, 09:26 AM   #7
Cloggsy

Bridgstone BT014's are good (justmacsv650 doesn't like his though ) I'm either getting 014's or Pirelli Diablo's on mine when the time comes
Old 16-02-05, 09:49 AM   #8
Iansv

In fine weather the 014's are fine.... its the wet they struggle in
Old 16-02-05, 10:14 AM   #9
Balky001
Mega Poster

Diablo's are good in the wet and excellent in the dry (IMO)
Old 16-02-05, 02:36 PM   #10
steveo

Thanks for your views guys.

I've ended up getting a set of Diablos as the Bridgestones were coming out more expensive. From the reviews in this section it seems that they should be loads better than the standard rubber.

Cheers