SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-06, 10:21 PM   #201
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

thats ace Lynne

I am cutting and pasting that to my fave uncle..he loves interesting stuff like that !

he will text me with "guess whos birthday it is today "..I will think Iforgot someones and he will declare that King Herod would be 2059 or something liek that !

anyway - unusual fact now required...

my daughters name is palondromic. HANNAH . reads same backwars as forwards...

the longest palondromic sentence is

A MAN, A PLAN, A CANAL , PANAMA................... go on read it backwards too!
Old 03-04-06, 10:31 PM   #202
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

a man with a broken hand works more than twice as slow...

proof... ask my wife
Old 03-04-06, 10:42 PM   #203
lynw

Carrying on in that vain before I go to bed.

The name Caesar is where the terms Kaiser and Tzar [or Czar] derive from.

Ironic for a man who did not wish to instil a monarchy in Republican Rome. But his assassination left the path open for Octavian, his nephew, to rise and become Caesar Augustus and found the Roman Empire.
Old 03-04-06, 10:42 PM   #204
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Palace is actually derived from the hill in Rome where the wealthier population lived. This was the Palantine, the hill where Romulus was said to have built the first foundations of Rome.
I thought Romulus was where the Romulens in Stark Trek came from..... (You know, like Klingons come from Kronos (Q'onoS) - not Uranus ).

Old 03-04-06, 10:49 PM   #205
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Quote:
Palace is actually derived from the hill in Rome where the wealthier population lived. This was the Palantine, the hill where Romulus was said to have built the first foundations of Rome.
I thought Romulus was where the Romulens in Stark Trek came from..... (You know, like Klingons come from Kronos (Q'onoS) - not Uranus ).

damn you!! for some reason reading thats reminded me of the song Star Trekkin'. Im off to find my tablets cos I wont sleep now with that going through my head...

Old 04-04-06, 03:36 AM   #206
philipMac

Taking about 40,000 E tablets (at 25 / day ) makes your brain a bit messed up.

Believe it or not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/drugs/Stor...html?gusrc=rss
Old 04-04-06, 08:35 PM   #207
lynw

Ok Im in the mood for more...

The phrase Flavour of the month originates back to 1930s USA. It originated in the advertising campaigns of ice cream companies - the earliest record of it is back in 1937.

The phrase Bakers dozen meaning 13 originates from bakers selling bread to avoid being penalised for selling short weight. The weight was prescribed by the Assize of Bread and Ale which dates back to the reign on Henry II. Any baker who gave short measure could be pilloried, fined or flogged.

Given the Assize concentrated on weight, when bakers sold in quantity they would add on a loaf to make up the weight. When they sold to individuals the weight would be made up with pieces of bread.

The phrase Beyond the Pale has nothing to do with colour or shades for the meaning of pale. A pale is a stake or piece of pointed wood - and from which we get the term impale. A paling fence was built of these stakes and the area enclosed was deemed safe and beyond the pale was outside of this area. Over time the phrase beyond the pale has come to mean outside agreed standards of decency, but its origin derives from being outside this pale.
Old 04-04-06, 09:09 PM   #208
philipMac

Quote:
The phrase Beyond the Pale has nothing to do with colour or shades for the meaning of pale. A pale is a stake or piece of pointed wood - and from which we get the term impale. A paling fence was built of these stakes and the area enclosed was deemed safe and beyond the pale was outside of this area. Over time the phrase beyond the pale has come to mean outside agreed standards of decency, but its origin derives from being outside this pale.
To be more precise... the "Pale" was an area, 20 miles in radius, around Dublin, that the English built up their "palisades" in an attempt to keep the Irish out. Inside The Pale was where normal laws ruled. Outside the Pale, well, was outside the pale

"Within the confines of the Pale the leading gentry and merchants lived lives not too different from that of their counterparts in England, except that they lived under the constant fear of attack from the Gaelic Irish."

Go on the Paddies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale
Old 04-04-06, 09:28 PM   #209
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
To be more precise... the "Pale" was an area, 20 miles in radius, around Dublin, that the English built up their "palisades" in an attempt to keep the Irish out. Inside The Pale was where normal laws ruled. Outside the Pale, well, was outside the pale

"Within the confines of the Pale the leading gentry and merchants lived lives not too different from that of their counterparts in England, except that they lived under the constant fear of attack from the Gaelic Irish."

Go on the Paddies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale
Not entirely correct. There were a number of Pales in existence, the pale round Dublin, referred to as the English Pale, was only one such occurrence. Another notable one being the Pale of Calais which was in existance around 1360. So there is no definitive "The Pale was this area". The above article demonstrating one reason I mistrust wikipedia. :P
Old 04-04-06, 09:45 PM   #210
philipMac

Quote:
Not entirely correct. There were a number of Pales in existence, the pale round Dublin, referred to as the English Pale, was only one such occurrence. Another notable one being the Pale of Calais which was in existance around 1360. So there is no definitive "The Pale was this area". The above article demonstrating one reason I mistrust wikipedia. :P
I wasnt taking it from wiki, we were taught that the first, or canonical Pale was around Dublin. Wiki just seemed to confirm this.

Websters seems to be in agreement..."Pale Within the pale of my observation- i.e. the scope thereof. The dominion of King John and his successors in Ireland was marked off, and the part belonging to the English crown was called the pale, or the part paled off."

I dunno. John was 11 hundred and something, predating the Calais Pale.