SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-05-06, 12:30 PM   #391
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Lynne- I enjoy these - that you post- please continue-

(see at least someone is interested matey !)

Ok I suposee I had best post a fact !!!......( I got loads ouuta the independant little book of facts book)

TOPICAL ONE FOR LYNNE WHO IS WELL READ (HAVING NO TV)

37%OF 12- 74 YEAR OLDS IN THE UK DID NOT BUY ANY BOOKS AT ALL IN 2005
Old 21-05-06, 12:33 PM   #392
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Jon Pertwee served as an officer aboard HMS Hood, adn was lucky enough to be on shore leave when she was sunk by the Bismark with only three survivors.

Denholm Elliot served with the RAF and was sot down during a bommbing mssion over Denmark. He saw out the last three years of the war in a POW camp in Silesia.

Murray Walker drove a tank during WWII.

Christopher Lee served as a Flight Lieutenant, as well as with Intelligence and Special Forces in the Western Desert, Malta, Sicily, Italy and Central Europe.
Actor Richard Todd served with 6 Para (I think) and fought at Pegasus Bridge on D-Day.
Interstingly Richard Todd plays Maj John Howard (who commanded the initial glider assult at Pegasus Bridge and heroically held the bridges afterwards) in the film "The Longest Day".

I am unsure who plays Richard Todd in the film

noooo that was in "The eagle has landed"

hee hee i jest
Old 21-05-06, 12:39 PM   #393
wyrdness

Tony Hart was an officer in the Gurkhas during WWII.
Old 21-05-06, 01:58 PM   #394
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard
Lynne- I enjoy these - that you post- please continue-

(see at least someone is interested matey !)
Thanks. I have plenty of "interesting" facts swimming in my head and I seem to be able to memorise lots of trivia .

Quote:
TOPICAL ONE FOR LYNNE WHO IS WELL READ (HAVING NO TV)

37%OF 12- 74 YEAR OLDS IN THE UK DID NOT BUY ANY BOOKS AT ALL IN 2005

Now thats shocking. To me at least. I cant imagine not having a book on the go.

I wonder how much of thats because people now use the internet? Ive worked with computers since 1986 and I still hate reading long texts on screen.
Old 21-05-06, 04:57 PM   #395
lynw

Ok some more random facts thats come into my head this afternoon:

The patron saint of Motorcylists is St Columbanus. His patronage, perhaps unsurprisingly given how weather orientated motorcycling is for some :P , also covers flooding.

St Cecilia is the patron saint of music.

St George was believed to have been Cappadocian and born in the 3rd Century AD. He grew up devoutly Christian but joined the military hence him being seen as a soldier saint.

Following Diocletians edict to persecute Christians, he refused and admitted his belief. It is then alleged he was then tortured and executed and became a martyr for the Christian cause. He was canonised by Pope Gelasius between 492-496 AD.

The legend of St George is believed to have reached England in the 12th Century by returning Crusaders. It was Edward III who made him patron saint of England.

Places St George is also a patron of are Georgia and Liguria which also bear in their flags the red cross on white background.

St George is also venerated by muslims as al-khadr, especially in Palestine and around Jerusalem.

Old 22-05-06, 10:16 AM   #396
kitten

A one kilogram packet of sugar will have about 5 million grains of sugar.

cool that isnt it?!!!
Old 22-05-06, 02:15 PM   #397
Samnooshka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
A one kilogram packet of sugar will have about 5 million grains of sugar.

cool that isnt it?!!!
The question isn't about how cool it is, but how bored someone must be to have to count them all :P
Old 22-05-06, 03:34 PM   #398
Scooby Drew

As Lynn was chatting about saints, I have just read loads on St Andrew (too much put here) so here's a quick bite:

Quote:
One legend concerning St. Andrew is that when the Pictish King Angus, faced with a large invading army, prayed for divine guidance, a saltire (the diagonal cross) appeared in the shape of a white cloud against the blue sky. Angus won a decisive victory and decreed that Andrew would be the patron saint of his country. It was not until after Robert Bruce's victory at the Battle of Bannockburn (1314) however, that the Declaration of Arbroath named St. Andrew the patron saint of Scotland forever and the Saltire became the national flag in 1385.
Old 22-05-06, 10:16 PM   #399
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Jon Pertwee served as an officer aboard HMS Hood, adn was lucky enough to be on shore leave when she was sunk by the Bismark with only three survivors.
Denholm Elliot served with the RAF and was sot down during a bommbing mssion over Denmark. He saw out the last three years of the war in a POW camp in Silesia.

Murray Walker drove a tank during WWII.

Christopher Lee served as a Flight Lieutenant, as well as with Intelligence and Special Forces in the Western Desert, Malta, Sicily, Italy and Central Europe.
Actor Richard Todd served with 6 Para (I think) and fought at Pegasus Bridge on D-Day.
Interstingly Richard Todd plays Maj John Howard (who commanded the initial glider assult at Pegasus Bridge and heroically held the bridges afterwards) in the film "The Longest Day".

I am unsure who plays Richard Todd in the film

noooo that was in "The eagle has landed"

hee hee i jest
When the mighty Hood sank, she went with over 1400 lives in a matter of minutes. In fact, one of the three survivors, who had been high up in the superstructure in a sort of 'spotting' position started climbing out of a window as the ship heeled over. As he got his legs out of the window, he water was rising above his knees. He was over 60 feet above the main deck! This guy is still alive today.
Old 22-05-06, 10:59 PM   #400
The Basket

The three stars of Orion's belt are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka.

Some people think they are represented by the pyramids at Giza as they have similar positions.

The Hood exploded and this why there were few survivors. The Bismarck didn't and this is why there were more survivors from the German ship. Even though it was hit with everything the RN had. 115 survivors were picked up. There were more in the water but a U-boat alert meant the rescue was cut short.