SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-08, 11:30 AM   #1
vardypeeps

Default Brake Pistons?

Hello again guys!

I'm planning on servicing my front and rear brakes as the dust seals are set for falling out (due to neglect from a previous owner, muck has got behind them and then pulled them out). I can get hold of rubber grease and the piston seals but am I ok using stainless steel pistons as I'm not sure what the normal ones are made out of?

It's probably a simple answer but all replies are welcome.

Cheers
Old 29-08-08, 11:53 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Brake Pistons?

I think the normal ones are steel.... are you saying that your going to replace the pistons then?
Old 29-08-08, 11:58 AM   #3
vardypeeps

Yeah seen them quite cheap on that wemoto (are they any good?) and the ones that are in have seen better days. They have scores in the sides and dents on the very rim of the piston.

It is worth me replacing them aint it?
Old 29-08-08, 12:07 PM   #4
Grinch

Never used Wemoto so couldn't say, but if they are scored and you think they need it then its something you can do. Nothing worse then getting all the work done and finding out the pistons that you didn't swap are the reason it will not seal right.
Old 29-08-08, 12:12 PM   #5
Grinch

Just had a look... 22 quid per piston, with seals, so you would need 88 quid for the set.

Seeing as I paid 18 quid per calliper so 36 quid in all just for a piston seals that's not bad.