SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-09, 10:55 AM   #1
philbut

Default Question for Lozzo or other Daytona 995i owners (past or present)

Right people, a little bit of advice needed. My friend has a Daytona 995i 2005 plate on 4000 miles - and has just managed to blow the engine up big time due to a botched home repair job. i'll not go into too much details but the engine is sh*gged big time. His insurance will pay out and scrap the bike but he has a £650 excess and bought from a dealer not long ago, thus I doubt he will recoup the cost of the bike.

I have offered to help him swap the engine (or he will watch and hand me spanners ). Are there any pit falls I should be aware of such as special tools needed etc before we start the job or any diagnostic equipment. I've told him to buy a manual so I will have a thorough read before hand but anyone who knows the bike and has any input would be much appreciated.

Ta
Phil
Old 06-03-09, 11:23 AM   #2
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Question for Lozzo or other Daytona 995i owners (past or present)

I take it he is buying a replacement 955i lump? It maybe advisable to run it round the dealers and get the engine remapped after fitting as it may not be the same map as the engine you are removing but apart from that nothing special providing you have a decent comprehensive set of tools.

OAEAA
Old 06-03-09, 11:30 AM   #3
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
I take it he is buying a replacement 955i lump? It maybe advisable to run it round the dealers and get the engine remapped after fitting as it may not be the same map as the engine you are removing but apart from that nothing special providing you have a decent comprehensive set of tools.

OAEAA
Cheers.

Yep, a replacement 995i lump is what we are hoping to get hold of. I would assume we would keep his current ECU and thus the engine map but I will encourage him to get it set up properly once the job is done as I'm sure every engine is slightly different.

Would you suggest an impact wrench is nesescary. i'm toying with the idea of getting a compressor set up at the moment but this could clinch it?
Old 06-03-09, 11:38 AM   #4
Dicky Ticker

I wouldn't use air tools,unless you have a variable torque air gun,although not a cheesy as some its still easy to strip bolts with an air gun,a decent power bar should be enough
Old 06-03-09, 05:44 PM   #5
Lozzo

I'd advise getting it remapped afterwards, but as to what to do... I haven't a clue - my 955i was one of the most reliable bikes I've ever owned and the Triumph dealer I worked at when I owned it rarely had any repairs to do to 955is of any description.