SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-11, 10:15 PM   #1
BomBalong

Default Headlight Problem

Hi

Was on the ride home this evening when i noticed that the headlights died, the High Beam still works fine but Low Beam is not working. Ive checked the fuses and all seems to be okay on that end.

Please, can someone help me

Thanks in advance.
Old 14-04-11, 10:35 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Headlight Problem

If all else fails go for the obvious: Have you checked the bulb/s?

I'm sure you have, but you don't mention it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-11, 05:46 AM   #3
BomBalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
If all else fails go for the obvious: Have you checked the bulb/s?

I'm sure you have, but you don't mention it.
good point Sid, i havent checked the bulbs. I thought it was kind of odd that both would go at the same time. I will try new bulbs when i get back from work.

Thanks Sid
Old 15-04-11, 07:01 AM   #4
The Guru

If its not the bulbs.. and I agree that its strange that they both go same time, check fuses. Theres a 15A mini blade fuse for Low beam and one for High beam.
Old 15-04-11, 07:31 AM   #5
daveyrach

Check the switch gear, i had the on a Yamaha XJ and it turned out to be the dipped beam connection in the handlebar switch, the solder had cracked and broken of.
Old 15-04-11, 07:42 AM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBalong View Post
I thought it was kind of odd that both would go at the same time.
Yes, it would be odd, but not unknown, however they may not have done so - it's not unusual for one to be gone a while, but only to be noticed when the other stops working as well.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-11, 01:40 PM   #7
BomBalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Yes, it would be odd, but not unknown, however they may not have done so - it's not unusual for one to be gone a while, but only to be noticed when the other stops working as well.
Yeah that is true, but i am 98% sure that both was working fine before last night. Im gonna go to Halfrauds now and get some new bulbs and see if that will solve the problem. *i hope*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
If its not the bulbs.. and I agree that its strange that they both go same time, check fuses. Theres a 15A mini blade fuse for Low beam and one for High beam.
I did look at the fuses last night when i got in. The fuse seemed fine and i tried the spare one just incase if it was a dodgy fuse. Still had no luck.

I also checked the connections on the back of the bulbs, and they seem to be okay aswell. is there anyway i could prize out the connector for the high beam and put it on the low beam prong to see if it something todo with the wiring?

Last edited by BomBalong; 15-04-11 at 01:44 PM.
Old 15-04-11, 02:29 PM   #8
BomBalong

UPDATE!

Just fitted the new bulbs to find that the low beam still does not work. Gonna take a look at the switchgear as daveyrach said and see what that brings.
Old 15-04-11, 03:22 PM   #9
BomBalong

just took the switch gear apart to find no problems at all, put a bridge over the solder joints on the switch to try and see if was the switch that was playing up and got nothing, now to see if i can descramble the wiring diagram.

just had a further look and im getting no-where i bridged the fuse with a paper clip just to see if they would light briefly and got absolutely sod all, am i right in thinking that i may have an earthing problem? or maybe a wire has come adrift somewhere * which i do sincerely hope not *

Last edited by BomBalong; 15-04-11 at 04:16 PM.
Old 15-04-11, 07:47 PM   #10
leebex

Had a similar problem a couple of weeks back, a week before my mot!! my main beam stopped working, turns out it was a slightly corroded connector pin in the loom plug behind the fairing.

I bridged it from the handlebar switch to the light bulb and it worked, pointing to a problem in the line from switch to bulb.

Lee