SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-02-05, 02:22 PM   #1
JMCHITTOCK

Default Rear Brake Pistons

Ive been trying to free up the rear brake pistons which have been sticking on my Sv540s. It's a W reg.

I've go the calipers off and dismantled but can't get the pistons out. They're stuck fast!

Any one got any idea about getting them out. Looking at the pistons it looks like there woud be a tool to insert and rotate the piston but there's no means of prising them out with a screw driver or ther technical tool!

Any ideas!!

I enjoy reading the pages and have succsffully renewed fork oil and done general serving. To date done over 25k on the bike since new

tks for your interest/suggestions
Old 21-02-05, 02:25 PM   #2
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

i may be wrong but i thought the way to get brake pistons out was to leave the hose attached and push the lever down so that they almost come out.
like i said i may be wrong and im sure some one wiil be along shortly to slap me down
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-05, 02:32 PM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
i may be wrong but i thought the way to get brake pistons out was to leave the hose attached and push the lever down so that they almost come out.
like i said i may be wrong and im sure some one wiil be along shortly to slap me down
That's how I would do it!

Anyway is an SV540 a big bore 400 or a sleeved 650????

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-05, 02:33 PM   #4
JMCHITTOCK

Default Brakes

Tks,

Good idea but unfortunately I've disconnected it already. D'oh. Short of putting it back on etc any other alternatives. Anway would'nt the pistons meet in the middle
Old 21-02-05, 02:37 PM   #5
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

wow did i get something right? woohoo im not a complete cretin then no one need answer that one!
Old 21-02-05, 03:41 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The inner circumference of the pistons is grooved, not for this purpose but it works, if you cut a piece of steel about 4mm or so thick the same width as the grooves, you can use it to rotate the piston, wiggling the piston out as you turn.

The best way is to pump the pistons out as far as they go whilst still connected, even if they touch it doesn't matter, they're still a whole lot closer to being removed than they otherwise would be, when out that far you can usually remove even the most cruddy and stuck piston with your fingers.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-05, 03:42 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

if you've got a compressor you could blow 'em out with compressed air. But for most of us hooking them up is the only way to go. You might need to split the calipers to get them completely out, not sure.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-05, 04:12 PM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

just checked haynes manual, it says to either pump the pedal whilst still connected to caliper or used compressed air to blow em out. and if you want to completely remove the pistons youll have to split the caliper.
Old 22-02-05, 09:23 AM   #9
JMCHITTOCK

Default REAR BRAKE PISTONS

Guys,

tks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I will make up my mind at the w/e to chose either reattaching the hydraulics and pumping them out or making a tool to twist them out.

Failing that there's always Sturdy's where I bought it....Seeing the brake in bits might make them smile!!!

cheers for now