SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-05, 04:50 PM   #1
The Basket

Default I've got my SV!!!My thoughts

I've got my new black SV650S...K5...i'll give my thoughts...

Looks...absolutley stunning..10/10 black...makes a fazer look a pile of toss

Brakes...i'm a bit miffed about the front brake not the power I was expecting...back brake works fine.

Handling...brill...planted and flighty...stable...a good compromise...

Engine...running in at 5000rpm but the bike revs and revs...it is impossible to keep it at 5000rpm...it wants more!!!Even went bwwwaahh like a Ducati...nice. The gears have a notch feeling to them...i preferred the GPz's....nice weight...balanced and light and doesn't intrude...good turning circle...nice digital speedo..clock...clutch in when start???eh???Nice and thin...not fat lke the Z750...

Comfort...lordy lordy my wrists!!!for more wristy than I thought!!!Not a town bike...i'll get used to it.

Now the engine produces an amazing amount of heat?it warms the frame to a nice oven heat...is this normal....

Looks alone I'm sold...when it run in I'll see about the rest later.
Old 02-09-05, 05:32 PM   #2
Warren

surely when you get a new bike - you will have to wait for the brake pads and disc to "bed in" - meaning that it will get stronger with use . . . alot stronger ?
Old 02-09-05, 05:41 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

yep clutch start is like that on the SV
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 05:44 PM   #4
Carsick

Clutch start is normal on Suzukis in general.
The brakes will need running in, same as the engine does. The gearbox will loosen up nicely over time.
My k4 has done just under 19k now and it feels faster than ever and stops quicker than before. I know alot of that is me getting used to the bike, but there's also alot to be said for being proper worn in.
Old 03-09-05, 02:55 PM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Recently changed my brake pads. Always had standard pads before. Gone for Carbone Lorraine sintered pads this time. Blinkin flip! That's better! Recommend it!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 04:02 PM   #6
lynw

Default Re: I've got my SV!!!My thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket
Brakes...i'm a bit miffed about the front brake not the power I was expecting...back brake works fine.
so you want R1 brakes on a budget bike? as the others said let them bed in. I can assure you my front brakes are fine and can stop well enough when they have to [except when my forks were fecked though ]

Quote:
The gears have a notch feeling to them...i preferred the GPz's....
again get used to the bike and you'll find it not as notchy.

Quote:
lordy lordy my wrists!!!for more wristy than I thought!!!Not a town bike...i'll get used to it.
yes you will. its a superb commuter through town, ah, wait you have a FI one - cue the people who say its not smooth at slow speed. mine is but I have a "proper" SV [99 model ] which is smooth and a perfect commuter for me - all 122 miles a day on it. also cue The Mass whos doing some nutty 200ish miles a day on his SV...
Old 03-09-05, 04:30 PM   #7
Professor

Quote:
Now the engine produces an amazing amount of heat?it warms the frame to a nice oven heat...is this normal....
I guess it is normal. On some hot days my frame also heats up nicely,
(mostly on the right side), especially if I am stuck in traffic. Could this
be the result of the fan kicking in?
Old 03-09-05, 05:20 PM   #8
Cloggsy

Quote:
Comfort...lordy lordy my wrists!!!for more wristy than I thought!!!
Get on with it ya big jessie
Old 03-09-05, 06:16 PM   #9
TC3

Absolutly love my svs and a teeny bit of pain the wrist could never detract from the sheer pleasure SilVie gives me
Old 03-09-05, 06:17 PM   #10
The Basket

Some interesting points there...I'm also finding the seat very thin and uncomfy...moan moan moan...However...and it's a big however...the bike handles like a laser beam and makes a lovely bwwaahhh sound...looks beyond compare...some ferrari driver burnt me off...one like Magnum had a 328 or summat...i'm running in so nothing over 5000rpm...once run in I will show this FIAT driver the true purpose of the V-configuration engine...it sounded nice like...

The front brake is a sore point and feels no better than the GPz I had...I dont expect R1 standard but better than GPz standard, the back brake works like a charm...the gears are much better but getting into first is a bit of a clunk...I hope this is just run-in blues and it will ease with time...talking of running-in the bike revs so quickly and cleanly that trying to keep the revs down is impossible...it also sounds beautiful...loud...snarly...growly...like a bike should. The bike is also balanced and so easy for low speed moving. But it is the looks that really slay me...far better than the Z750 I was also considering...the looks and the sound...I can live with the rest...I've done 100 miles so far...only another 900 to go!