SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-06-06, 11:49 AM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Concerts, support acts

I saw Bryan Adams last night at the Huddersfield excuse for a football stadium.

Whilst not my choice, the tickets were free so why not. And I have to admit it was entertaining.

However, the support was crap. Beverly Knight. Some bint who screams instead of sings into her microphone.

You would have thought that whoever organises concert tours would choose acts from the same musical genre. On the assumption that if you have gone to watch the feature, you may actually enjoy the support.
Old 02-06-06, 12:41 PM   #2
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Default Re: Concerts, support acts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky
You would have thought that whoever organises concert tours would choose acts from the same musical genre. On the assumption that if you have gone to watch the feature, you may actually enjoy the support.
I don't know if the situation is the same as it was a few years ago when I did some 'roadie - ing', but then the support act(s) were generally picked by the headline act's management using the following criteria :-

(1) How much are they prepared to pay for the privilege of appearing with a 'big' name act

(2) How good are they ? They need to be just good enough to get away with it - but NOWHERE near as good as the headline act !!
Old 02-06-06, 01:04 PM   #3
BabyJ

Went to a Westlife concert last year *waits for barrage of abuse* and the support acts were all dreadful!

Was 2 hours queuing to get in.

Then when it started they had 3 or 4 CR*PPY support acts that went on for about another 2 hours (but seemed like longer) Never heard of any of them!! And Sing!? I could have sung better!

Then it started raining..!

When Westlife finally came out they only did about 6 songs then finished!!

Won't be doing that again me thinks!!
Old 02-06-06, 01:09 PM   #4
Lou M

I went to Suzanne Vega last year, her support act was n----- Pallot - can't remember first name, but she's just released her first single.

She was ace - enjoyed her as much as Susanne.

Same goes for Alison Moyet, a young lad was the support act, and I've heard him on the radio recently - one song stuck out for me and it's brill.

Just wish I could remember their names

Nutty x
Old 02-06-06, 01:19 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Early beverly knight stuff is better than her new album.

Dont do concerts.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 02:24 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Then again, a lot of bands bring other bands that are basically indistinguishable from themselves- especially with metal, where even the bands get confused... "Hello, we might be Bullet For My Valentine, we might be Trivium, we really don't know!"

Sometimse if you get something totally different, it can be more interesting- I'd have never got into- never even heard of in fact- the whole antifolk thing if the Moldy Peaches hadn't supported the Strokes once... Or Biffy Clyro if they'd not supported OPM. Both total, total mismatches.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 02:44 PM   #7
quikstu

I went to see the Rolling Stones last November in San Francisco for my 30th. Brilliant gig, especially as one of the opening acts were the mighty Metallica.

Going to Barcelona to see the Stones whenever they announce the rescheduled date & will see em again in Glasgow in August.

Old 02-06-06, 03:10 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont go to concerts very often I'm pretty selective about what I will pay what I think is alot of money to go and see.

I think the highlights are

The Manic Street Preachers were support for The Stone Roses at Wembly Arena
Starsailor were support for The Charlatans also at Wembley Arena

Another band I had seen on Jules Holland were support for The Charlatans at Bristol, They were called Dark Star, my mates hated them as they were bit heavy metal / dance crossover. I really liked them and went and bought their album after the Gig as I had enjoyed it so much.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 03:15 PM   #9
Lou M

Wasn't Dido the support for Eminem? I thought that was how she got discovered??

Nutty x
Old 02-06-06, 03:24 PM   #10
MidgetMoose

Normally i stay at the bar while waiting for them to finish but there has been one really good one that sticks out.

At liverpool academy i went to see DJ Format, there was a band called Little barrie supporting them they were really good came back on later and jammed as well.