SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 30-09-16, 09:12 PM   #81
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: The trackday thread.

I use Dunlop D211 slicks on my GSXR, soft compound front, hard (endurance) rear. Being based on a road tyre they can take multiple heat cycles without any issues and work well for the level I ride at, offering much the same level of grip as a good supersport track tyre and lasting slightly longer. A front usually last two or three trackdays, and depending on the track a rear lasts a day at somewhere like Brands or Lydden which is very hard on one side (I usually turn it around at lunch time) or maybe two days if you go somewhere like Cadwell, Silverstone or Donnington.

My SV isn't really a track bike so I just run Dunlop Qualifiers 2 on that, they're fine for the road and just about hang in there on the track.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 07:15 AM   #82
Popy Fresco

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Ive used Pirelli Supercorsas exclusively since using the SV on track. My current set I bought new and they've been mint for two years and now gonna be buying a new set for next year. Sadly they are the expensive new. But decent scrubs can be had if u look around.
Standard size?
If so, where do you get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I use Dunlop D211 slicks on my GSXR, soft compound front, hard (endurance) rear. Being based on a road tyre they can take multiple heat cycles without any issues and work well for the level I ride at, offering much the same level of grip as a good supersport track tyre and lasting slightly longer. A front usually last two or three trackdays, and depending on the track a rear lasts a day at somewhere like Brands or Lydden which is very hard on one side (I usually turn it around at lunch time) or maybe two days if you go somewhere like Cadwell, Silverstone or Donnington.

My SV isn't really a track bike so I just run Dunlop Qualifiers 2 on that, they're fine for the road and just about hang in there on the track.
I wanted the D211 but they don't make them on sv sizes

I quite like Dunlop in general, have the sportsmart 2 for the track bike and used to have the qualifiers 2 on the road hornet
Popy Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 12:04 PM   #83
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popy Fresco View Post
Thanks guys
Standard size?
If so, where do you get them?
Yes Standard SV size. I got them from http://www.biketyresleeds.com/ but they may not be cheapest now.
Here's a new set from A&R Racing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pirelli-Di...-/231636626451

TrumpetTyres might be a good place to ask as they somtimes have nearly new stock at discounted prices.
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetTyresRaceProducts/

Another popular choice is the Avon 3D extreme tyres. Not personally used tho and there are reports of them not lasting as long as the competitors.

But they are nearly £100 quid a set cheaper!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231943380079

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 12:52 PM   #84
Popy Fresco

Thank you very much

But all of those are 120/70 where the standard size for the sv is 120/60

Do they fit ok without changing much the geometry of the bike or is just that i got the size wrong?
Old 03-10-16, 02:25 PM   #85
N1xxl

Off to Andalucía in over 3 weeks for 4 days on track, its with FE but never had an issue. Mines a supertwin so 120/70 front R10 and 180/60 supercorsa s2 rear. Roll on the sun.
Old 03-10-16, 08:29 PM   #86
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popy Fresco View Post
Thank you very much

But all of those are 120/70 where the standard size for the sv is 120/60

Do they fit ok without changing much the geometry of the bike or is just that i got the size wrong?
Yes I use the 120/70 with no issues

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 09:43 PM   #87
N1xxl

No issues at all with the front but rear does require mods to fit a 5.1/2" rim from a 600 SRAD in mine.
Old 04-10-16, 08:00 AM   #88
Popy Fresco

Brilliant, that will make it much easier to find a front one

Seems like i was worried too much about keeping the size as standard, when on the other hand i've changed most of the bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1xxl View Post
Off to Andalucía in over 3 weeks for 4 days on track, its with FE but never had an issue. Mines a supertwin so 120/70 front R10 and 180/60 supercorsa s2 rear. Roll on the sun.
Brilliant, want to do something like that next year

Pásalo bien!
Old 07-10-16, 09:08 PM   #89
nutzboutbikes

A session from Cadwell 4th October.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZMC...ature=youtu.be
Old 18-10-16, 03:29 PM   #90
Ds77

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1xxl View Post
Excellent. Would love to hear how you find it - I've just booked with them for Andalucia at the end of Nov, first euro track day! Can't find much info on the circuit - I think it's pretty new although there are a few YouTube vids out there.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ds77 is offline   Reply With Quote