SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-18, 12:17 PM   #11
glang

Default Re: Dead bike

Its possible that with the flow of current through that earth wire its now disconnected somewhere from the negative terminal of the battery (although the frame is still earthed via the main earth strap to the battery). You could try temporarily connecting the black/white stripe wire to a good frame earth point somewhere to see if any other components work. Dont start the bike like this as its not a solution but would indicate where to start searching for the problem......
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 02:16 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
No, that's a ground (earth) wire. You may have shorted something to that but shorting that to ground will do nothing.

Red wires will have 12V all the time
Orange/with a coloured stripe will be switched 12V

... but there will be other wires with power on them too, depending on where you were fiddling and whether the ignition was on.
not so.

everything is positive until it gets to the negative plates in the battery.

there is no such thing as a "ground or earth" on DC electrics. its either live or off.

simple test is a bulb test. you can cut any live or negative (as long as there is return power) wire and insert a bulb and the bulb will illuminate. this proves that its positive power on a so called negative wire.

what blows a fuse is DC current not voltage. if there is a short in the wiring it saturates the current causing either the wiring to melt or a fuse to blow. you can actually have shorts and have no ill effect.

if wiring in a new bulb then its best to wire in parallel. never wire a bulb in series. if you wire in series and it blows then you loose power to everything on that line. most things in DC vehicle electrics are wired in parallel for that very reason.

a "ground or earth" wire is a wire connected to usually a copper stake in the ground and is a safety feature of AC wiring.

to answer the OP's question. no the ECU has no effect on power. if you have lost power to everything then its a fuse or you have melted the main power feed from the ignition. if the bike was ok before you messed with the wiring then go over what you have done as you have done it wrong.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 02:30 PM   #13
simon1

I think I put the black wire with white stripe to positive....and the white wire with black strip to negative??
simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-18, 02:46 PM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

define "black/white to positive"? e.g. direct to battery or other......

in reality wiring a bulb into an existing circuit it should not matter which way round it goes as the filament in the bulb is just a "wire" and it cares not. if wiring in an LED it does matter as an LED will only light up in one direction anode(+)>cathode(-).
Old 17-09-18, 02:55 PM   #15
simon1

Yes its an LED rear light.....its a bit complicated because the sv650 in question is a flat tracker....that I am adding lights to....most of the road stuff,ie lights,indicators ,dash with ignition lights etc are not there...it runs a day time MOT...I going to run a inline light switch as most of the handlebar switch gear is missing.....told you it was complicated!..….anyhow the bike was running fine,totally reliable....what I did was put the two said wires directly to the battery,there was a spark....then nothing...I must of put the negative and positive the wrong way round.....anyhow as I said the fuses are all good...have been changed for new ones several times....I have bought a new solenoid,,there quite cheap..and will borrow a CDI unit to check if its that...I take it a fried cdi unit will cause the same problem?
Old 17-09-18, 03:01 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

what you might have done is created a "loop", this would be like connecting a wire to the positive then trying to connect it directly to the negative.. it will spark as there is nothing using any power or a switch inline. which i would presume that it has fried existing wiring.

it matters not the bike it only matters how its wired.

you need to explain a bit more. about where you got the white/black wires from e.g. existing wiring and how it was wired up e.g. did you take the existing wiring and connect it directly to the battery...
Old 17-09-18, 03:05 PM   #17
simon1

Does anyone know what this is...it is in the end of this connector..has a + on one blade and 0.2 on it....
Old 17-09-18, 03:10 PM   #18
simon1

Bibio...yes it was the wires coming straight from the loom at the rear of the bike.....when i touched the wires the other way round on the battery the lights worked....but for some reason!!!!???...i swopped them round,and a spark at the positive side of the battery and that was that...
Old 17-09-18, 03:19 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

ok.. wires that are existing on a loom are almost always connected to the battery already. if you have connected them back too the battery again then yes you have created a loop and more than likely melted a wire somewhere in the loom.

you do know that there is a "fuse box" on the bike and not just the big main solenoid fuse.

its sit down with a DMM time... lol
Old 17-09-18, 03:28 PM   #20
simon1

Yes have checked the fuses in the fuse box..all good....a friend is coming round tomorrow with a multi meter to hopefully find the problem!...