SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-12, 07:52 AM   #1
craig dow

Default Curvy starting and running problems.

hi started my sv 650s 1999 up after it sitting over weekend and not wanting to start up , had choke on , but bike revs would not go over 1000rpm , then it picked up slowley , got it moveing , started to back fire a bit , when i got it opened up no problem , we bit of back fireing when i let off throttle , after 25 miles to work stoped at shop , five mins latter started bike up again , same thing , just didnt want to rev up , more throttle , it just was wanting to cut out , when i got it moveing again it was ok , any help , iv new plugs in it last month , new oil , and filtter , and chain is fine , thanks for any help , hope will start ok tonight so i can get home ,
Old 27-08-12, 04:23 PM   #2
craig dow

Default Re: Curvy starting and running problems.

got the bike home , still doing the same , when you get revs up it goes fine , but when you let off throttel it back fires and doesnt sound right , could it be a spark plug miss fireing , please help
Old 27-08-12, 04:36 PM   #3
Red ones
Mega Poster

water in fuel?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 05:22 PM   #4
craig dow

did fill it up on friday , how can i tell , thanks
Old 27-08-12, 06:51 PM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Drain the carbs and have a look at what comes out. Do the same with the fuel tank.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 07:14 PM   #6
craig dow

hi gary , thanks for that . does that mean i have to take carbs off bike to drain them , , and can i just take bowl off them , and clean it or do i have to do the jets as well , thanks for you help ,
Old 27-08-12, 09:28 PM   #7
garynortheast
Mega Poster

There's a drain screw in the float bowl (no.32 here).Undo that and the bowl will drain. If you can find a way of catching it in a jar you could let it settle and examine it for any signs of water.
Any water in the tank tends to sit in the bottom of the tank at the rear and when the bike is on the sidestand the water rolls across to the fuel outlet. Drain the hoses between tank and fuel pump, and fuel pump and carbs, and also the float bowls while the bike is on the sidestand. Then lean the bike over to the right and try starting it. Any water in the tank will roll over to the other side of the tank away from the fuel outlet. If it starts and runs ok with the bike in that position but then after a short while back on the sidestand it splutters and dies, then I'd suggest getting the tank off and draining it completely.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote