SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-06, 10:38 PM   #1
rpwoodman

Default Using oil on 650s K5

Hi,

I've had an SV650s K5 for coming up to 6 months now.
I've been very careful with running it in (not sitting at constant revs, going up and down through the gears etc, with some good acceleration), and have now done just under 1k miles on it.

I went out for a ride today (about 50 miles) then cleaned it when I came home. After I'd done that, I thought I'd look at the oil level and found it was in the middle of the high and low marks (my wife sat on the bike so it was in the upright position).
I am 99% sure the last time I looked, it was dead on the high level mark, but I may be just questioning myself on this bit.

I'll obviously be looking at the levels before every ride from now on, but is it unusual to be using oil at this stage of the bikes life?

thanks
Old 22-01-06, 11:07 PM   #2
Rog

Not sure about the using oil at this early stage so I wont comment on that one Im sure there are lots of people in here who can let you know on that score.

Anyway the point I was gonna make was that are you sure the bike was straight ? I say this as a little lean on the bike or a slight incline on the driveway can make a difference to the level you see. One tip is when you wife or friend is on the bike move the bike to where the oil is at the high level on the glass then ask them if it feels balanced.

As for checking the oil, you should try and get in the habit of checking this everytime you go out anyway (if you are not using it everyday) and probably once every three days if you are commuting. Also check your coolant level and under the bike for any evidence of leekage especially if its been standing for a while.

It sounds a pain in the **** but it soon becomes routine and could save you a bucket load of cash espeicially if you spot something before caneing it up the road with no fluids in it Happiest outcome broken bike, worst outcome broken you!!!

My personally check list everytime I go out is:
mobile phone (never know when you might need it)
Oil
Coolant
front brake
back brake
Chain
tyres (pressures tread, signs of damage)

followed by a quick walk round to check cables and stuff.

Sounds a lot but you can combine bits with putting your kit on and while the bike warms up.

You wouldnt dream of going out without your safety gear on everytime, so why not check your bike as well.
Old 23-01-06, 02:43 AM   #3
Nexus242

Unless your using a bubble level across the gas tank to be 10000% sure the bike is level even the slightess lean angle can change the perceived amout of oil in the slight level vastly.

Old 23-01-06, 07:45 AM   #4
rpwoodman

Thanks chaps. I did look to see if the bike looked straight, but maybe I didn't do a very good job of it. My wife isn't a biker so she was very nervous about sitting on it, so she may not have realised it didn't feel straight.

I have been doing some checks before I go, but to be honest, they were pretty ad-hoc - a checklist would ensure that I'm being consistent. Having said that, checking oil level without help sounds tricky (ensuring it's perfectly upright and then peering down at almost ground level), tho maybe there's a knack which comes with practice.

Thanks
Old 23-01-06, 09:02 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

You can do it yourself to reasonable accuracy- just crouch down on the right of the bike and pull it towards yourself. When the bike's upright you can balance it with a fingertip, and once you're done just lower it gently back onto the stand.

If you're nervous, you can bungee the sidestand down, and fix the front brake on... But I don't bother myself.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-06, 09:36 PM   #6
Rog

I would agree with NOrthwind, this is what I do. Never do it with the stand up though

Once shes balanced you can hold it in place with one finger
Old 24-01-06, 04:50 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

I'm with Northwind too. I always leave it in first gear when on the sidestand so it won't roll.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-06, 06:03 PM   #8
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
I'm with Northwind too. I always leave it in first gear when on the sidestand so it won't roll.
Yup me too...safest way
Old 24-01-06, 09:06 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Used to do that too... Much easier than binding the front lever now I think of it But I don't bother any more.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-06, 09:12 AM   #10
Foey

Default Re: Using oil on 650s K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman
Hi,

I've had an SV650s K5 for coming up to 6 months, and have now done just under 1k miles on it.

If this is the case & you returned it to the dealer for it's 400 mile service that means all that oil has been used in under 600 miles, i would be more inclined to think maybe the bike was a bit off upright as has already been said, i think i've done about 3000 miles now & the oil level hasn't budged.