SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-23, 12:44 AM   #1
Brrm!Brrm!

Default New member, a few questions!

Hi folks, new member from Ireland.
Just bought an '01 sv650s 26k miles(super clean and all the right bits I was likely to put on it: Braided lines F&R,crash bungs,fender extender,hi-level micron can which sounds amazing! Oxford heated grip,paddock bobbins and a Hepco and Becker rack,even has all the documents in the wallet,the tool roll and the tank prop!)

Happy out doesn't begin to describe it. Second bike I've had(previous/now parked up) a '92 400 super four. And I thought that was a nippy little bike...🤣

Bought it in N.ireland so it has mph clock but the odometer is recording in kilometres? It's not an overlay on the Speedo,the face has big mph/small kph markings etc. And the trip is reading exactly the right amount of Kms for the journey down from the north on Sunday (Google maps)
There is a sticker on the frame in French so it's possible it was imported to the UK early in it's life but the only stamp on the service book is from a place up North (BRS cars in cullybackey) what I'm assuming is the original owners name is written in the service book too(from Ballymoney, Antrim)

It's a weird one,the mileage/Kms(?) seems to tally with the MOT history so far back as that website shows me.
Just wondering what the going on with it as I like to stick to the service schedule...

And lastly (probably a stupid one&#128517 any easy way to tell if it's restricted? I've GPS verified it on the ubiquitous private road🤭 at 192kph/119mph...not too shabby but I've had 176 and 182kph from the Super Four(JDM so so far as I know it's restricted for that market) on the exact same downhill stretch...(granted there was a bit of a head wind on the Sv)
What's the verdict yis think? Restricted or not?

Anyways,sorry for the long post but the odometer is bugging me(it's still a low mileage bike regardless but if it's actually Kms I got an even better bargain than I thought)

Any advice around the odo would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Brrm!
Brrm!Brrm! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-23, 07:48 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: New member, a few questions!

Welcome.

Regarding the speedo - has it got one of these fitted (a small gearbox that sits on the speedo cable)

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-454000

Not sure why it would only affect speed reading and not distance though.

Top speed? Haven't tried, I think the "S" was road tested to about 125mph?

I've not come across a restricted SV - on the EFI models they use a different ECU, on the carb models they blank off part of the inlet port. You might be able to spot it if you remove the airbox and open primary and secondary butterflies and peer inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQetbr9bU5c
Old 05-04-23, 08:14 AM   #3
Brrm!Brrm!

Thanks for the reply,I'll have to take a look and see if there's one fitted.
I'm leaning towards the Speedo face having been changed at the moment. The rubber around the glass is out of place slightly so it does look like it's been fiddled with at some stage.

Around the 8 o clock position.

Was there a decent saving to be had importing one from France to the UK way back then I wonder?They were cheap enough to begin with(only stamp on the service book records mileage as 1716)

I want to figure it out,just so I know I'm keeping to the correct servicing schedule if nothing else plus whenever it's time to sell it would make a huge difference. Lot of lads advertising the mileage here in Ireland as Kms only for you to ring up and it's actually 45k miles not Kms (older bike/UK import) as stated in the ad. I'd like to be truthful with what I'm selling in as much as I can be.
Old 05-04-23, 08:15 AM   #4
Brrm!Brrm!

Old 05-04-23, 04:53 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Lots of European imports from that era as they were cheaper. I had one and it had a Km speedo. Mods were available to convert them to MPH but I never bothered. They were not restricted as sold new.
Old 05-04-23, 09:06 PM   #6
redtrummy

Brrm Would a 01 SV be worth much more if a full service history was provided? A 01 would not be worth much either way I would suggest. When we traded in our old camper van the garage never even bothered looking around it. All they asked has the cam belt been changed (it had). Not to say you should not maintain it of course.
Just my thoughts
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-23, 09:40 PM   #7
keith_d
Mega Poster

It does sound like an import, which shouldn't be a big deal on a ten year old bike.

A skinny kid tucked right down on the tank might get over 120 out of a faired model, but for most of us 119mph sounds pretty normal. The restricted model loses about half the power, so I doubt it would get over 100mph.

The final answer is to check the ECU part number. Restricted and unrestricted are different, but I've not had an SV for so many years that I wouldn't know where to start.

The old part numbers are in this thread:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=200593

Not sure if they apply to the later models.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-23, 10:16 PM   #8
Brrm!Brrm!

Depends on the buyer I suppose. Condition is really the be all and end all and here in Ireland at least,a bike with a properly recorded,dealer maintained service history or even quality independent is a rare enough thing.
That and their being no MOT equivalent for bikes it's very much buyer beware.
But receipts for service items or work performed by a shop are at least a good indicator a bike has been looked after and gives the seller a firmer footing on their price and thebuyer some piece of mind imo