SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-23, 05:19 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Honda Hornet

My MT-07 friend and I drove to Vertu Honda in Grantham to see if they had any Hornets in stock. They had a couple including a demo bike but I didn't take any gear and it was raining anyway.
Still, it was good to see one in the metal - they are small. I'm 5'6 and could flat foot easily and I would imagine a 6' + rider might be a bit cramped.

I was surprised to see it was made in Japan (the CB650R is made in Thailand). You seem to get a lot of bike for your money for £6999 - although the dealer didn't think that would last for long (but he would say that). It was light (190kg), the SV (AL7) is 197kg, the XSR700 is 186kg and the new Suzuki GSX-8S is a porky 202kg.
Basic suspension albeit with upside down forks, preload only adjustment on the rear and a desperate need for weather protection front and rear. Style over function once more - it's getting worse.

The quickshifter is an optional extra and one of the bikes had the cosmetic kit (might not be the actual name) which was new bar ends, handlebar clamp with logo, rim tape etc.

Had I not bought the XSR last year (and spent a lot with K-Tech) I would be tempted, I liked the white/red frame colour.
Old 01-03-23, 06:02 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Honda Hornet

As I'm way too short in the inside leg department for that engine in the Transalp, and the Hornet does nothing for me*, I'm hoping Big Red come up with a sports tourer option at some point to rival the Tiger Sport 660. We'll see. Suzuki may yet do a road-based version of the 800 Strom, hopefully with a less ugly front end, and Triumph may do an adv-based 660 with 19in front and road tyres...

*The GSX8S also does nothing for me!
Old 01-03-23, 07:05 PM   #3
admin
John T
Mega Poster

My local dealer now has a Hornet demonstrator. I agree they are small and light.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-23, 10:12 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

a 750 for £7k its going to be a winner with new riders. lets face it its a honda so its going to be better than most offerings at the same price.

i actually like the styling and the 795mm seat height (bet its still too tall for me) is better then most as well.

if it were not for the fact i dont use the bike as it is i would consider it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote